Y Shed is at the heart of Meliden. What this village lacks in size it more than makes up for in history.
Rustoch to the Saxons, Aldmeliden to the Normans and Gallt Melyd since the 13th century the name has become Anglicised to Meliden. Although often linked to Mellitus, the 7th century Bishop of London, there is no factual basis for such a belief which is now viewed as an antiquarian desire to link early names to known historical individuals. There may have been a real St. Melid.
At one time, quarrying and mining were the backbone of the local economy, but it was a tempestuous affair with disputes between miners and the owners.
The lead mining came to a halt in the late 1800s but quarrying continued until the early 1980s. Evidence of mining and quarrying can clearly be seen on the hillside which surrounds Y Shed.
At one time, the village also attracted tourists who, from the mid 1800s, travelled along the Chester to Holyhead railway. The goods shed was built along the branch line of the London & North Western Railway from Prestatyn to Dyserth, known as the Prestatyn and Cwm Railway. The passenger service stopped in 1930 but the goods and minerals railway continued to run along here until 1973. Many residents still recall watching the puffs of steam as the train ran along the track. Meliden’s is a rich and interesting history and Y Shed will help tell these stories and more to future generations.
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found on the SideTracked Series website at www.sidetrackedseries.info https://www.sidetrackedseries.info