Skip to content

<

4 écluses / 4 locks

A cache by celticcacher3 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 08/08/2020
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


La quadruple écluse de Saint-Roch a été construite en 1678 et possède une chute d'eau de près de 10 mètres. L'écluse tire son nom de la chapelle Saint Roch construite au XVIe siècle par la confrérie de Saint Roch qui y traitait les lépreux, en dehors des murs de la ville. Pour en profiter, deux moulins à eau ont été construits en 1680 sur la rive droite de l'écluse et un moulin à farine a été ajouté au XIXe siècle. Ils sont aujourd'hui abandonnés ou en ruines, bien qu'apparemment l'un des moulins ait été opérationnel jusqu'en 1990. La rive gauche abritait les anciens bâtiments administratifs et hôteliers.

Le Grand Bassin de Castelnaudary a été la première halte de nuit pour les passagers de l'ancien bateau-poste.  Ces passagers logeaient dans des chambres situées à proximité de l'écluse, au bord du Grand Bassin.  Sur la rive gauche se trouve l'ancien restaurant où les passagers du bateau postal prenaient leur dîner. Et ils pourraient utiliser la St Rochchapel.  Le lendemain, ils descendaient leurs bagages au fond de l'écluse et montaient à bord d'un autre bateau postal pour continuer leur voyage. Le bateau postal lui-même ne passait pas les écluses. Il y avait aussi une écurie où les chevaux qui tiraient les bateaux passaient la nuit.

The quadruple lock of Saint Roch was built in 1678 and has a water drop of almost 10 metres. The lock takes its name from the Saint Roch chapel built in the 16th century by the brotherhood of Saint Roch who treated lepers here, outside the city walls. Two water-mills were built in 1680 on the right bank of the lock to take advantage of this and a flour mill was added in the 19th century. They are now abandoned or in ruins although apparently one of the mills was operational until 1990. The left bank was home to the former administration and hotel buildings.

Castelnaudary's Grand Bassin was the first overnight rest stop for the passengers on the ancient mail-boat.  These passengers would stay in rooms located close to the lock on the edge of the Grand Bassin.  On the left bank is the ancient restaurant where the mail-boat passengers would eat their dinner. And they would be able to use the St Rochchapel.  The next day they would walk their luggage down to the bottom of the lock, and board another mail-boat to continue their trip. The mail-boat itself did not go through the locks. There also used to be a horse stable, where the horses pulling the boats would spend the night.

 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Qnaf yr yvreer. Irhvyyrm erzcynpre fbvtarhfrzrag / Va vil. Cyrnfr ercynpr pnershyyl

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)