About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It’s a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website.
About Picton Station
Picton Station is a heritage listed station on the Main South line. The station opened in 1863, only eight years after the first railway in NSW. The station is unusually sited, with southbound journeys actually heading north out of the station before traversing a 225 degree horseshoe curve to again head south, and likewise northbound services heading south before rounding a number of curves to resume their true direction.
The Station Building is a simple single-storey Victorian Georgian style building. The building sits on a stone plinth with painted brickwork walls and a symmetrical front elevation with 2 x 6 pane double hung timber framed sash windows.
The building has a linear arrangement with attached parapeted wings at each end containing toilets in one wing and lamp room in the other. The other facilities in the building include a ladies' waiting room, telegraph office, booking office and clerks office and baggage office. Access to the platform is through the central booking office.
The building features a hipped slate roof with a major awning to the platform rebuilt at an unknown period and originally supported on columns . The street frontage has a hipped veranda supported on timber posts.
An indication of the individuality of railway station gardens is given by a hanging wall-mounted specimen of stag's horn fern attached to the station building wall.
Signal Box (1919)
There is a large signal box located on the platform which was constructed in 1919. It is a timber structure with windows on three sides of the upper level. Access is from the platform via an external stair with WC on the landing. The roof is hipped, clad in corrugated iron overhanging on all sides to shade the upper windows. This is one of a small number of similar boxes remaining in the state.
Picton previously had an extensive yard north of the station including locomotive servicing facilities and a turntable. A passing loop ran behind Platform 2 until 2011, when it was removed to allow a lift to be installed.
Congratulations on a speedy FTF to Dragons2010