About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About SideTracked - Spondon Station
Lying on the Derby–Nottingham line, the first station on the site was opened by the Midland Counties Railway (MCR) on 5 June 1839. The fifth station from Nottingham, it was kept by a Mr. Carter.
Trains to Spondon originally left from the north end of Derby station before turning east towards Nottingham. However, on 27 June 1867 the Midland Railway, successor to the MCR, opened a new route towards Nottingham (and London) which led from the south end of Derby station (so that Manchester – London trains would no longer have to reverse at Derby). The new route and the old joined immediately west of Spondon, which was to remain a junction station until 1969, when the original, more northerly, connection to Derby was closed as a through route.
The station was enlarged in the early 20th century to cope with the volume of traffic for the nearby British Celanese plant. In the 1920s, more than 14,000 worked here. The station is also the location of the junction for rail freight traffic into the British Celanese works.
It was planned that both platforms would be extended by up to 25 metres no later than 2012