an extension to the popular - SideTracked Series
The station was formerly known as Melton Mowbray Town to distinguish it from the former Melton Mowbray North on the Great Northern and London and North Western Joint Railway, which closed to regular traffic in 1953.
The station has a ticket office which is staffed part-time, a car park and help points for times where there are no staff present. It was refurbished in 2011 with new glass in the platform canopies, resurfaced platforms, passenger information screens, improved disabled access to the barrow crossing, a full repaint and a new footbridge to replace the original which was superannuated. The refurbishment of the platforms retained their original size and means that previous plans to extend these by up to 14 yards (13 m) by no later than 2012 did not go ahead to the original timescale.