TENTERDEN WAR MEMORIAL
Unveiling of the War Memorial in 1920 and Historical Information
The Mayor, Mr A R Boorman, called a public meeting at the Town Hall in January 1919 in order to consider the desirability of a War Memorial for Tenterden. As a result it was decided to form a committee from a large number of organisations in the town. At this and succeeding meetings, many suggestions were made to the form the memorial should take.
Finally, a memorial was placed on the Greens in the High Street near Borough Place. The memorial has four steps representing the four years of the war and the base represents the fifth or culminating year, on the front panel of which is the following inscription: “1914-1919 To the men of Tenterden who gave their lives during the Great War. Live thou for England; we for England died.” A head representing “Thought” surmounts the inscription. On the two side panels and back are inscribed the 78 names of those who fell. The shaft is surmounted by hooded lozenge panels on which are depicted the Arms of Tenterden and the Crest of the County of Kent. The lozenge panels are a sign of mourning and the spear pointing to the base signifies Tenterden in mourning.
After the 1939-1945 War the names of those who fell were also added.
Complete the puzzle to get the final coordinates and the hint...
***** PLEASE NOTE IMPORTANT *****
CACHES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE PLACED ON ACTUAL MEMORIALS OR WITHIN THE BOUNDARY OF SUCH
AT ALL TIMES PLEASE TREAT LOCATIONS OF MEMORIALS WITH RESPECT