Skip to content

Superman 38: Canal Railroad Mystery Cache

Hidden : 2/13/2021
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
4 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


This mystery cache is part of the Superman GeoArt Series
*The cache is NOT at the posted coordinates*

N 42° 13.068' W 72° 43.757'

These 60 caches placed across Southampton are comprised of park & grabs and short hikes featuring varying levels of difficulty/terrain and an assortment of containers. If you've cached in the area before, you're sure to recognize some of these spots. Enjoy your adventure!

Canal Railroad
A full-size ammo can placed on a steep slope with a great view of the river and the abandoned railroad bridge. Please use caution as the hill can get very slippery during the winter or after heavy rain. There is a pull-off close to GZ along Brickyard Rd.

On July 29, 1835, the Hampshire and Hampden Canal opened for business from New Haven to Northampton. The canal specifications: 24’ wide at the bottom; 34’ wide at the surface; water depth 4’; horse tow paths 10’ wide, 2-5’ above the water level. The boats were 75’ long, 11’ wide, 7’high. Pleasure boats carried from 150 to 250 people. The passenger fare from Northampton to New Haven was $3.75, including meals and the time through was approximately twenty-six hours.

The Southampton section had 6 locks, which were 80’ long and 14 ‘ wide: one near Route 10 to the south with a 10’ elevation change, a 60’ aqueduct near Lyman’s Tin Shop bridged the Manhan River, followed immediately by three more 10’ locks, and two additional locks. The next lock system lowered the canal into Easthampton at the town line at the North Branch of the Manhan River where five locks lowered the canal 36’.

However, by 1847, the New Haven and Northampton Canal Company declared bankruptcy and the canal ceased operation. By 1855, the right-of-way had been purchased and the “Canal Railroad” had been completed. In Southampton, the railroad lines were constructed in the canal bed from East Street south to the Westfield line. By 1854, the Hampshire & Hampden Railroad Company was operating on these tracks. The rail business boomed. Over the years, Southampton has had two railroad stations. The first station was built on the “Road to Holyoke” (present-day East street) but it burned down. A new depot was erected, situated by the corner of College Highway and Moosebrook Lane but it also burned down in 1869. By 1890, the railroad reached its pinnacle of success. Revenues exceeded $100 million as they carried over 12 million passengers annually and had 4,000 employees. By 1929, there were 2,131 miles of tracks laid.

The final passenger train passed through town in 1926. However, the freight rail trains continued on. At its apex in the 1970’s, over 4,000 cars rolled on Southampton’s tracks. The last regular freight service passed through town in 1992.

These tracks have laid dormant for the last 30 years.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ebpxf, npebff sebz gerfgyr

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)