Skip to content

<

Philips in Eindhoven

A cache by GeoPME Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/02/2021
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


In 1891 richtte werktuigkundig ingenieur Gerard Philips, met zijn vader Frederik Philips als geldschieter, de firma Philips & Co op met als doel: "het fabriceeren van gloeilampen en andere electro-technische artikelen, beneevens het drijven van handel daarin". Het bedrijf werd niet in hun woonplaats Zaltbommel gevestigd, maar in Eindhoven. Hier was een leegstaande fabriek beschikbaar met stoommachine. Bovendien lag deze fabriek dichtbij de spoorlijn en waren er goede en goedkope arbeidskrachten voorhanden. Gerard Philips schafte de benodigde machines aan begon met het produceren van gloeilampen. In deze eerste gloeilampenfabriek is nu het Philips Museum gevestigd.

Het hoofdkantoor van Philips bevindt zich tegenwoordig in Amsterdam, maar de wortels van het bedrijf liggen in Eindhoven. In de stad zijn dan ook nog vele sporen zichtbaar. Deze wandeling van ongeveer 6 kilometer bezoekt een aantal van die “sporen”.


Eerste fabriek - 1891 - The first factory

Gerard Philips, a mechanical engineer, founded Philips & Co in 1891, with financial support from his father Frederik Philips, in order to: ‘manufacture incandescent lamps and other electronic products and to trade therein’. The company was not based in Zaltbommel, where the family lived, but in Eindhoven, where there was a vacant factory with a steam engine. This factory was close to the railway line and there was also a plentiful supply of good, cheap labor in Eindhoven. Gerard Philips acquired the necessary machinery and started manufacturing incandescent lamps. It is in this first lamp factory that the Philips Museum is located today.

Philips’ headquarters is currently located in Amsterdam, but the company’s roots are in Eindhoven. There are, therefore, still many reminders of the company throughout the city today. This 6-kilometer walk takes you to see some of them.

WP01: N51° 26.511’ E005° 28.804’
Anton Philips kwam in 1895 werken bij Philips & Co, het bedrijf dat 4 jaar eerder door zijn vader en 15 jaar oudere broer Gerard was opgezet. Hij had een groot zakentalent en reisde al snel de hele wereld over om gloeilampen te verkopen. In 1899 werd Anton mededirecteur van het bedrijf. Hij zorgde voor de grote internationale groei van het bedrijf.

Vraag: Hoeveel stadswapens staan er op de sokkel van het beeld? Het antwoord is A.

In 1895 Anton Philips came to join Philips & Co, the company that had been founded four years earlier by his father and his brother, Gerard, who was 15 years Anton’s senior. Anton was a very talented businessman and before long he was travelling all over the world to sell incandescent lamps. In 1899 he became a director of the company. It was thanks to him that the company enjoyed rapid international growth.

Question: How many coats of arms are there on the plinth supporting this statue? The answer is A.

WP02: N51° 26.369’ E005° 28.700’
Frits Philips
, de zoon van Anton, kwam in 1935 in de directie van Philips en was tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog het enige directielid dat in Nederland bleef. In die tijd heeft hij veel Joodse medewerkers voor deportatie kunnen behoeden. "Meneer Frits" was zeer geliefd bij de bevolking. Hij was ook een hartstochtelijke fan van PSV en was vaak op de tribunes te vinden.

In 1935 Frits Philips, Anton’s son, joined the Philips board and during the Second World War he was the only member of the board to remain in the Netherlands. During that time he managed to save many Jewish employees from deportation. ‘Mr Frits’, as he was known, was very popular with the people. He was also an ardent supporter of PSV football club and often turned out to watch the team play.

Find a safe place to cross the road and continue your walk via:

U vindt een gemakkelijke plaats om veilig over te steken als U uw tocht vervolgt via:

WP03: N51° 26.295’ E005° 28.535’

WP04: N51° 26.302’ E005° 28.418’
Het Clausplein: De gebouwen rond dit plein geven een prachtig idee van de bouwstijl van de fabrieksgebouwen in de vooroorlogse jaren van het bedrijf. De Willemstraat is bij veel Philips-medewerkers bekend omdat hier de Medische Dienst en het hoofdadministratiegebouw waren gevestigd, ongeveer ter hoogte van het Wilhelminaplein.

Vraag: Op het plein staan 4 palen met lichtspots. Hoeveel lichtspots heeft elke paal? Het aantal spots per paal is B.


Model Emmasingel complex, rechtsvoor eerste fabriekje -1923- front right first factory

Het Clausplein: The buildings around this square are very reminiscent of the style in which the factory buildings were constructed during the company’s pre-war years. The Willemstraat is known to many Philips employees because the Medical Services and the main administration building were located there, more or less level with the Wilhelminaplein.

Question: On the Clausplein there are 4 masts fitted with floodlights. How many floodlights are there on each mast? The number of floodlights per mast is B.

 

WP05: N51° 26.370’ E005° 28.065’
De Steentjeskerk: De groei van het aantal katholieken in de toenmalige gemeente Strijp, met name door het ontstaan van Philipsdorp, leidde in de jaren 1910 tot het inzicht dat een nieuwe parochie nodig was naast de bestaande St. Trudoparochie.

De Steentjeskerk: the rise in the number of catholics in what was then the Strijp district – mainly due to the creation of Philipsdorp – led to a realization in 1910 that there was a need for a new parish in addition to the existing parish of St. Trudo.

WP06: N51° 26.411’ E005° 28.056’
De pilaren
markeren de ingang van Philipsdorp. Deze wijk in Eindhoven verrees tussen 1910 en 1923. Het was bedoeld voor de vele nieuwe werknemers die vanuit het hele land bij Philips kwamen werken. De huizen waren modern in die tijd: ze hadden een gas- en waterleiding en waren aangesloten op de riolering. Maar ze hadden in het begin nog geen elektriciteit.

Vraag: In welk jaar is de foto gemaakt waar de pilaren op te zien zijn? Het derde cijfer van dit jaartal is C.

The pillars mark the entrance to Philipsdorp. This residential area of Eindhoven was built between 1910 and 1923. It was intended for the many new employees who had come to Eindhoven from all over the Netherlands to work for Philips. The houses were modern for their time: they had a mains gas and water supply and were connected to the sewer system, but they had no electricity at first.

Question: In what year was the photograph showing the pillars taken? The third figure in this year is C.

WP07: N51° 26.574’ E005° 27.802’
Het koffiehuisje
. Dit pand deed dienst als winkel van de Philips’ Coöperatieve Verbruiksvereniging, waar het personeel van Philips sinds 1919 inkopen kon doen tegen betaalbare prijzen. Hier is later de ETOS uit voortgekomen. De afkorting staat voor: Eendracht, Toewijding, Overleg en Samenwerking. De ETOS werd in 1973 verkocht aan Ahold (Albert Heijn) en is nu een drogisterijketen.

Het koffiehuisje. This building housed the Philips Consumers’ Cooperative Society (Philips’ Coöperatieve Verbruiksvereniging) store, which was set up in 1919 to enable Philips employees to buy their groceries at an affordable price. It later became known as ETOS (in Dutch these letters stand for ‘Unity, Dedication, Consultation and Collaboration’). ETOS was sold to Ahold (Albert Heijn) in 1973 and is now a chain of pharmacy stores.

WP08: N51° 26.589’ E005° 27.656’
De fontein bij de Philips Bedrijfsschool. Deze monumentale fontein met een beeld in het midden was een cadeau van alle Philips-werknemers bij het 60-jarig bestaan van het bedrijf. Het parkje met de fontein ligt bij de voormalige Bedrijfsschool van Philips.

Vraag: Voor de fontein ligt het gedicht De roep. Hoeveel woorden bevat de laatste regel van dit gedicht? Het antwoord op deze vraag is D.

The fountain near the Philips Bedrijfsschool. This monumental fountain with a statue in the center was a gift from the Philips employees to mark the company’s 60th anniversary. The park and the fountain are near the former Philips Technical College (Philips Bedrijfsschool).

Question: In front of the fountain there is a poem entitled ‘De roep’. How many words are there in the last line of this poem? The answer is D.

Cross the road by the Philips Bedrijfsschool and continue your walk on the right-hand side of the road towards:

Steek bij de bedrijfsschool de weg over en vervolg Uw tocht aan de rechterzijde van de weg naar:

WP09: N51° 26.743’ E005° 27.260’
Het NatLab
(Natuurkundig Laboratorium)
is in 1914 opgericht op initiatief van Gerard Philips. Door eigen onderzoek en uitvindingen was het bedrijf niet afhankelijk van octrooien van derden. Er werd zowel industrieel als fundamenteel onderzoek gedaan. Albert Einstein bezocht in 1923 het vermaarde onderzoekscentrum. Bekende uitvindingen van Philips waren bijvoorbeeld een röntgenapparaat waarmee je niet alleen botten, maar ook het hart en de longen kon zien (1929), gele straatverlichting (1932), de cassetterecorder (1963) en de Compact Disc met CD-speler (1982). Het NatLab aan de Kastanjelaan is een rijksmonument.


Metalix röntgen – 1924 – Metalix X-ray device

The Philips Research Laboratories (NatLab) were set up in 1914 thanks to Gerard Philips. Once the company had its own research facility and its own inventions, it was no longer dependent on the patents of thirds parties. Both industrial and fundamental research was carried out here. Albert Einstein visited these highly-regarded laboratories in 1923. Famous Philips inventions include an X-ray device which made it possible to produce images of not only bones but also the heart and the lungs (1929), yellow street lighting (1932), the cassette recorder (1963) and the Compact Disc and CD player (1982). The Philips Research Laboratories building on the Kastanjelaan is now a national monument.

Continue your walk via:

Vervolg Uw wandeling via:
WP10: N51° 26.863’ E005° 27.250’

WP11: N51° 26.890’ E005° 27.180’

WP12: N51° 26.962’ E005° 27.408’
Het Klokgebouw
is een fabriek uit 1928, waar röntgenapparaten en Philite werden vervaardigd, Philips' benaming voor bakeliet. In 1917 repareerde Philips kapotte röntgenbuizen van het Antoni van Leeuwenhoek ziekenhuis in Amsterdam. Dat was een jaar later aanleiding voor de start van de eigen röntgenfabricage. Het gebouw is vernoemd naar de enorme klokken op de toren, die werden geplaatst rond het waterbassin in de toren. Markant aan het gebouw is ook het Philips-embleem, dat van ver te zien is. Het Klokgebouw is een rijksmonument.

Vraag: Hoe vaak komt de letter P voor in de wijzerplaat van de klok? Het antwoord is E.

Het Klokgebouw is a factory that dates back to 1928. This is where X-ray devices and Philite were produced. ‘Philite’ was the name used at Philips for Bakelite. In 1917 Philips repaired faulty X-ray tubes for the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek hospital in Amsterdam and this led Philips to start manufacturing its own X-ray devices one year later. The Klokgebouw – quite literally ‘Clock Building’ – was so called because of the enormous clocks on the tower, which were positioned around the water reservoir in the tower. Another striking feature of this building is the Philips emblem, which can be seen from afar. The Klokgebouw is now a national monument,

Question: How many times does the letter P appear on the face of the clock? The answer is E.

WP13: N51° 26.888’ E005° 27.410’
Het ketelhuis en de machinekamer
uit 1929 maakten onderdeel uit van een reeks kleine fabrieken op het complex Strijp S. Ze werden gebruikt voor de opwekking van perslucht en elektriciteit. Het bedrijf nam vanaf eind jaren ’60 allerlei maatregelen om zuinig om te gaan met energie en grondstoffen en werkte mee aan het Rapport van de Club van Rome ‘Grenzen van de groei’ uit 1972. Philips is sinds 2020 CO2-neutraal en maakt uitsluitend gebruik van groene energie.

The boiler house and machine roomfrom 1929 formed part of a series of small factories on the Strijp S site. They served to generate compressed air and electricity. In the late 1960s the company implemented extensive measures to minimize consumption of energy and raw materials, and it contributed to ‘The Limits to Growth’ Report of the Club of Rome in 1972. Philips has been carbon neutral since 2020 and uses exclusively green energy.


Zakenvliegtuig boven Strijp – 1976 – Company airplane flying over Strijp

WP14: N51° 26.818 E005° 27.393’
In de Apparatenfabriek (gebouw SK) werden radio’s geproduceerd en na de Tweede Wereldoorlog ook televisietoestellen. Daarnaast functioneerde het pand na de oorlog ook enkele jaren als beeldbuizenfabriek en bood het onderdak aan een glasblazerij.

Vraag: Bij de ingang van gebouw Gerard, te herkennen aan de grote letter G, staat een citaat van Gerard Philips. Uit hoeveel woorden bestaat dit citaat? Het antwoord is F.

Radios were produced in the Apparatenfabriek (building SK) and after the Second World War televisions were produced there too. For a number of years after the war this building also served as a picture tube factory and it housed a glass-blowing workshop.

Question: At the entrance to the building called ‘Gerard’, which is marked with a large letter G, there is a quote by Gerard Philips. How many words is this quote made up of? The answer is F.

WP15: N51° 26.694’ E005° 27.726’
Het monument voor de gevallenen is opgericht ter nagedachtenis aan slachtoffers tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog, onder anderen Philips medewerkers die door de Duitsers zijn gefusilleerd omdat zij staakten uit protest tegen de deportatie van hun Joodse collega's.

The monument to the fallen was installed in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the Second World War, including Philips employees who were shot by the Germans because they went on strike in protest at the deportation of their Jewish colleagues.

WP16: N51° 26.500’ E005° 28.155’
Het Philips Stadion staat midden in Philipsdorp, op de plek waar in 1910 het Philips Sportpark werd opgericht. In 1911 werd hier voor het eerst een wedstrijd gespeeld door het Philips Elftal, de voorloper van PSV Voetbal. De vijfjarige Frits Philips verrichtte de aftrap van die wedstrijd.


Sfeeractie voor Frits Philips door PSV supporters – 2015 – PSV supporters honoring Frits Philips

The Philips Stadium is in the middle of Philipsdorp, in the same spot where the Philips Sports Park was created in 1910. The Philips Eleven, which later became PSV, played its first match here in 1911. Frits Philips, who was then just 5 years old, conducted the ceremonial kick-off at this match.

WP17: N51° 26.464’ E005° 28.460’
Het Monument Operation Oyster
herinnert aan het bombardement van de geallieerden op 6 december 1942, ook wel bekend als het Sinterklaasbombardement. Het bombardement was gericht op de Philipsfabrieken waar onder andere radiobuizen gemaakt werden voor de Duitsers. Er werden echter ook veel andere gebouwen in de stad geraakt, waaronder vele woonhuizen. Er vielen meer dan 150 slachtoffers.

Vraag: Op welke dag van de week vond dit bombardement plaats? Tel het aantal letters van dit woord. Het antwoord is G.

The Operation Oyster monument is a reminder of the allied bombing raid which took place on December 6, 1942, as part of Operation Oyster. The bombing targeted the Philips factories where, amongst other things, radio tubes were produced for the Germans. A lot of other buildings in the town were also hit, however, including many homes. More than 150 people lost their lives.

Question: On what day of the week did this bombing raid take place? Count the number of letters in this word. The answer is G.

WP18: N51° 26.465’ E005° 28.521’
De Lichttoren is een iconisch gebouw in de binnenstad van Eindhoven. Op de bovenste etage vonden duurproeven voor de lampenfabriek plaats. Er brandde 24 uur per dag, 7 dagen per week licht. Tot ver in de omtrek waren de brandende lampen ’s avonds te zien. In de volksmond werd het gebouw daarom de 'Lichttoren' genoemd.


Emmasingelcomplex, Lichttoren – 1922 –The Emmasingel site, Lighting Tower

The Lighting Tower (Lichttoren) is an iconic building in the center of Eindhoven. Lifetime tests for the incandescent lamp factory took place on the top floor of the tower, which meant it was lit up 24/7. In the evening this light could be seen from far and wide. That is why it was known as the ‘Lighting Tower’.

Cross the road here and continue your walk via:

Steek hier de weg over om Uw tocht te vervolgen via:

WP19: N51° 26.413’ E005° 28.565’
“De Bruine Heer”
is het voormalige
hoofdkantoor van Philips. Het reliëf in de muur is in 1954 gemaakt door Frida Heil-Verver en het stelt "De Industrie" voor. Er zijn verschillende ambachten op te zien, zoals bijvoorbeeld de glasblazer, de bankwerker, de lampenmaakster.

Vraag: Hoeveel personen zijn er in totaal te zien? Het antwoord is H.

The building known as ‘De Bruine Heer’ (‘The Brown Gentleman’) was once the Philips headquarters. The limestone relief set into the façade was created in 1954 by Frida Heil-Verver. It depicts ‘Industry’ and features a number of different craftsmen, such as the glassblower, the bench fitter, and the lamp maker.

Question: How many persons can you count in total? The answer is H.

De eindcache.
Deze cache is te vinden op:

N51° 26.(C)(B)(A)’ E005° 28.(D-E)(F-H)(G)’

Lees de hint en pas op voor dreuzels.

The final cache.
This cache can be found at:

N51° 26.(C)(B)(A)’ E005° 28.(D-E)(F-H)(G)’

Read the hint and watch out for muggles.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Baqremvwqr mnpugwrf anne ibera gerxxra/ Chyy gur haqrefvgr gbjneqf lbh pnershyyl

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.