REALLY SideTracked - Huttons Ambo
A cache placed close to Huttons Ambo and Menethorpe where the York to Scarborough railway line crosses the River Derwent.
YMS/13 Huttons Ambo
This railway line was built by George Hudson's York and North Midland Railway and opened on 7 July 1845.
Services operated along this line are run by TransPennine Express
Scarborough also sees steam-hauled summer specials from York, hauled by various preserved steam locomotives.
Huttons Ambo Station House
Huttons Ambo railway station was a minor railway station serving the twin villages of High Hutton and Low Hutton, and the village of Menethorpe, on the York to Scarborough Line.
The station was opened on 5 July 1845 by the York and North Midland Railway. It closed to regular passenger traffic in 1930. The last station master was Mr Ken Collinson. The station was originally just named Hutton, but was renamed Huttons Ambo on 1 February 1885.
In 1913, legislation was passed for a narrow gauge railway to Burythorpe, but this was never implemented.
On 25 April 1986, the Station House was awarded Grade II Listed status and is described as:
Station and station-house, now house. c1845 with later extension.
By G T Andrews for York and North Midland Railway Company. Dressed sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roof. Station side:
single-storey, 2-bay centre range, with single-storey projecting wings. 16-pane sashes with painted moulded sills to centre with raised clock surround between. Gabled wings have 2-centred blind arch containing paired radial-glazed sashes in raised round-arched surrounds with imposts. Painted moulded sill band. Overhanging bracketed eaves. Arched ridge stack with cornice to right cross gable; similar single stacks to centre and left cross gable. Right front: 3 single window bays: left and centre bays single storey, the centre gabled and projecting: gabled bay to right of 2 storeys.
16-pane sash with painted moulded sill to left bay. Centre bay has round-arched radial-glazed sash flanked by narrow recessed panels, and overhanging bracketed eaves. Bay to right has 2-centred blind arch containing 12-pane sash to ground floor and radial-glazed sash with moulded sill band to first floor. Overhanging eaves on ogee-shaped brackets. Corniced stack pierces roof to right.
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website