About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website
About Stickney Station
Stickney was one of the larger villages along the line; the station was sited in a shallow cutting to the west of the A16 road bridge. The station had two brick-faced platforms and unlike other stations on the line the booking office was incorporated into the up platform waiting room with an approach road from the A16. The signalbox was on the down side of the line on the east side of the A16. The goods yard comprised a single siding with a loading dock which was on the up side of the line opposite the signalbox.
The single siding would hold a maximum of 29 wagons and goods traffic at Stickney consisted of
potatoes, corn, hay, straw, sugar beet, seed potatoes, cattle, horses and coal. During WW2 building materials for new airfields was delivered to Stickney yard. During the construction of East Kirkby airfield there was a proposal to build three additional sidings running behind the signalbox to handle 40 - 50 wagons of ballast a day but it was eventually decided to make do with the existing siding with additional wagons being unloaded at New Bolingbroke. The airfield became operational on 27th August, 1943. From this time the railway brought in all materials and goods for the RAF. High explosive bombs and ammunition were also brought in to the station from the ammunition depot at Swinderby.
During the war the Home Guard used the station approach road for their Sunday marches and the
Stickney army cadets also met on Sunday mornings in the downside waiting room.
The station was closed in 1915 as a wartime economy measure re-opening on 9th July 1923. Stickney lost its goods facilities on 30th March 1964. The station became unstaffed on 7th October, 1968 and final closure was on 5th October 1970.