Bignor- the history of Bignor
A well known place in the surroundings Bignor is the Roman villa. Surprisingly it is called Bignor Roman Villa!
The way Bignor Roman Villa was found starts in 1811 when George Tupper, a farmer, was ploughing his field and suddenly hit stone and then he stopped.
Bignor Roman Villa was 4 acres long back in the year 350 ad. In 350 AD there were 70 buildings that we know of.
The reason the Romans left the villa is most likely a fire but we don’t know for sure. If you go to the Villa it does say that a fire is most likely.
Bignor also has one of the oldest houses in the South Downs called The Yeoman’s House. It is a Wealden Hall House which was built between 1300 to 1500 but we’re not sure.
Over the years it’s had renovation so that the building stays standing.
The church in Bignor is named ‘Holy Cross’ is a stone structure from the 11th and 13th century mentioned in Domesday book.