This cache has been locked, but it is available for viewing.
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
We want to find out all about beach huts.
We spend a lot of time with Amy and Adam by the sea at Lee-On-The-Solent. It is a lovely spot with a great shingle beach, safe swimming and plenty of activities out at sea to watch. The airfield nearby is used by gliders and occasionally special events like “Wings over the Solent” when lots of Spitfires landed there. We often watch the cruise liners sailing past the Isle of Wight in the evenings. There is a tidy row of 50 or so beach huts at these coordinates N 50 48.626, W 001 12.973 and we often use one of these huts to get changed, prepare meals and meet friends.
We know there are lots of other beach huts dotted around the British coast and abroad, we have seen lots of others and read about many more. The object of this search is to locate as many as possible.
Beach HOUSES are excluded; we are only looking for huts that would typically be used for a day at the seaside and not for living in.
Bathing machines or bathing tents are allowed but are obviously much rarer!
So, take a stroll along a beach with your GPSr and log a find.
Usual locationless cache requirements apply;
- Photograph of the beach hut(s), with GPSr and perhaps a member of your team.
- The GPS coordinates of the location.
- Any history or information about the huts or beach would be welcomed.
Only one log per beach hut group site and one log per geocacher please.
There is no need to visit the above cache page coordinates, unless of course you just want to spend a day at our favourite beach!
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BRITISH BEACH HUTS Until the eighteenth century, very few people would have thought of spending a day at the seaside, unless it was to work there, people worked very long hours and most coastlines were run down and inaccessible. Gradually people’s holiday increased and railways helped to make seaside towns into popular, fashionable holiday destinations.
BATHING MACHINES were developed in Great Britain in about 1735, in 1753 Benjamin Beale invented a ‘modesty tunnel’ and it wasn't long before most resorts in Britain had their own bathing machines. These were wheeled into the water whilst the bather got changed. King George III was a big fan and used a machine in Weymouth.
BATHING TENTS gradually replaced bathing machines on many beaches, the changing tents were owned by the local Corporation, giving a uniform look to the beach. Bathing tents that were available for hire were almost a semi-permanent feature on the beach, at least during the summer months. They were placed away from the water's edge and did not afford the privacy on entering the sea provided by bathing machines. It was not really until the Second World War that they lost their popularity, being superceded by the Beach Hut.
BEACH HUTS, unlike bathing machines and tents, remain in-situ and can be filled with paraphernalia for spending time on the beach. The size of beach huts varies, some being a small place to change or make a hot drink, others are more lavish with electricity and water installed as well as sleeping areas. Some are owned by private individuals (including The Queen!), and others are owned by local councils are available for hire.
Beach Huts logged so far (in alphabetical order):
LEE-ON-THE SOLENT, Hampshire, UK. The Cache page co-ordinates and
- Abersoch, North Wales, UK.
- Almeria, Spain ("El Bobar" beach).
- Aldeburgh, Suffolk,UK
- Armacao de Pera, Algarve, South Portugal.
- Avon Beach near Christchurch, Dorset, UK.
- Bardsey Island, off the Welsh coast, UK.
- Beagle Bay (Middle Lagoon), Cape Levique, North Western Australia.
- Bel-Air Bay Club, (Located just South of Sunset Blvd and Pacific Coast Hwy) USA
- Beer, Devon, UK.
- Bernieres sur Mer, near Caen, France.
- Black Forest, Germany.
- Blankenberge Belgium
- Branksome Dene Chine, Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.
- Bregenz am Bodensee"in Austria.
- Broadsands Beach, Churston, Brixham, Devon, UK.
- Brunswick, Georgia, USA.
- Budleigh Salterton, East Devon, UK.
- Calais, Normandy, France.
- Calshot Spit, Hampshire, UK.
- Casey Key, Florida, USA
- Castiglione della Pescaia, Tuscany, on the Thyrrenian sea, close to Grosseto, Italy
- Canford Cliffs Chine, Poole, Dorset, UK.
- Chautauqua Lake in Chautauque, N.Y., USA.
- Clacton on Sea, Essex, UK
- Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, UK.
- Coldingham Bay, East coast of Scotland, UK.
- Costa Adeje in Tenerife / Spain
- Cozumel, Mexico
- Cromer, North Norfolk coast, UK.
- Dromana, Victoria, Australia.
- Earlsferry Beach, Fife, Scotland
- East Coast Park, Singapore.
- Eastney beach, Portsea Island, Hampshire, UK.
- Elm Island in Hall County, Nebraska
- Erie, Pennsylvania, USA. (Presque Isle State Park)
- Eriks Hale, Marstal Aroe, Denmark
- Exmouth, East Devon, UK
- Exmouth, (between the Maer Rocks and the Orcombe Rocks), East Devon, UK
- Falsterbo, Sweden.
- Felixstowe Promenade, Felixstowe, Suffolk, England.
- Felpham, West Sussex, UK
- Ferring, West Sussex, UK
- Fife, Scotland
- Fleetwood, Lancashire, UK.
- Föhr, Germany - a bathing machine!
- Folkestone, Kent. UK
- Frinton-on-Sea, Essex, UK.
- Goodrington Beach, near Paignton, Devon, UK.
- Goring Beach #1, (near the Sea Lane Cafe), West Sussex, UK.
- Goring Beach #2, West Sussex, UK.
- Göteborg, Sweden.
- Gulfport, Mississippi, USA
- Half Moon Bay, Isla Roatan, Honduras.
- Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK.
- Heacham (North Beach) near Hunstanton, Norfolk, UK.
- Heiligendamm, (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern), Germany.
- Hengistbury Head, Christchurch, Dorset UK
- Hillhead, Hampshire, UK.
- Holland-on-Sea, Essex, UK.
- Hove, East Sussex, UK.
- Island Bay Resort, Florida Keys, USA.
- Iso Vasikkasaari (Big Calf Island), in Espoo, Finland
- Jumeira Beach, Dubai, United Arabian Emirates
- Jupiter Island #1, Florida, USA.
- Jupiter Island, #2 Florida, USA.
- Kasnäs, Finnland.
- "Katwijk aan Zee", Netherlands.
- Kjørbo, south of Sandvika, just west of Oslo, Norway.
- Klagenfurt, Wörthersee Lake, Carinthia, Austria.
- La Jolla California, USA. (Wind and Sea beach)
- La Marina between Mojacar and Garrucha, Spain
- La plage de La Croche, Québec, Canada
- Lake Constance, Bavaria, Germany.
- Lake Huron, Oscoda, Michigan (New AuSable Resort) USA
- Lake Simcoe, Barrie, Ontario, Canada
- Lancing, West Sussex, UK.
- Langland Bay, Gower, South Wales, UK.
- Lee-On-The-Solent, Hampshire, UK. Group A
- Lee-On-The-Solent, Hampshire, UK. Group B
- Littlehampton, West Sussex, UK.
- Lindau, Lake of Constance, Bavaria, Germany.
- Littlestone, on the Romney Shore, Sussex, UK.
- Lunan Bay (South end) close to Montrose, Scotland (in an area known as Corbie Knowe.)
- Marlborough Sounds, South Island, New Zealand.
- Melbourne, Australia. (Blairgowrie Beach, Port Phillip Bay)
- Melbourne, Australia (Brighton Beach, Port Phillip Bay)
- Melbourne, Australia (Mt. Martha Beach, Port Phillip Bay)
- Melbourne, Australia (Macrae, Port Philip Bay Mornington Peninsula)
- Melbourne, Australia (Safety Beach, a.k.a. Shark Bay)
- Melbourne, Australia (Sorrento, Port Philip Bay Mornington Peninsula)
- Milford on Sea, Hampshire, UK.
- Monmouth Beach, Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK
- Mudeford Spit, near Hengistbury Head, Dorset UK
- Muizenberg, (near Cape Town), South Africa.
- Nairn, Scotland
- Newquay Beach, Cornwall, UK.
- Ngunguru,Tutukaka Coast, Northland, New Zealand.
- Old Hunstanton, Norfolk, UK
- Otisco Lake, New York State, USA.
- Ocean Blvd, (just north of Seaside Pl.) Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
- Ocean Grove, New Jersy, USA.
- Oddicombe/Babbacombe, Devon, UK
- Oslo downtown, on a little Island called Malmøya, Sweden.
- Paignton, Devon, UK.
- Palm Beach Coast, Florida, USA. (Pelican Pete's Beach Hut)
- Palos Verdes peninsula, Southern California, U.S.A.
- Parks Hwy (#1), Cantwell, Alaska, U.S.A
- Parks Hwy (#2), Cantwell, Alaska, U.S.A
- Portovecchio (Old Port), Castiglioncello (Tuscany) - Italy.
- Portland Bill, Dorset, UK
- Plymouth, Devon, UK.
- Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada
- Roatan Bay, Honduras.
- Rotherslade Bay, Gower Peninsula, Wales
- Rottingdean, West Sussex, UK.
- Rustington/East Preston, West Sussex, UK.
- Rush south beach near Dublin City, Ireland.
- Rye, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia.
- Saint-Anna Beach ("Sint-Anneke"), River Schelde, Antwerp, Belgium.
- St.Agnes, Cornwall, UK
- St. James on False Bay, close to Cape Town, South Africa.
- St. Kitts
- Saltdean, West Sussex, UK
- Sandscale Hawes, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria, England.
- Sandhaven Beach, South Shields, UK.
- Sanur Beach, Bali, Indonesia.
- Seaford, near Brighton, UK.
- Seaton, Devon, UK.
- Seven-Mile Bridge, Florida Keys, USA.
- Shelter Island Heights (Beach Club), LI, NY, USA.
- Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, UK.
- Shoeburyness, Essex, UK.
- Sidmouth, (Jacobs ladder) Devon, UK.
- Southbourne, Dorset, UK.
- South Hayling near Eastoke, UK
- Southsea, Hampshire, UK.
- Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
- Spencer's Gulf, One Stick Bay, Australia
- St Vincence Bay, 8the region, Chile near Cancepcion
- Stapelbädden at Lindholmen, Hisingen, Göteborg, Sweden.
- Stokes Bay, Gosport, Hampshire, UK.
- Studland, 'Middle Beach', Dorset, UK.
- Teignmouth, Devon, UK.
- Terschelling, ('Huske op e Hoek'), Friesland, Netherlands.
- Thorpe Bay, Essex, UK
- Totland Bay , Isle of Wight, UK.
- Tracyton, Puget Sound, Washington State, USA
- Travis Spit, separating Sequim Bay from the Straits of Juan de Fuca, Washington, USA.
- Varadero, Cuba. (Hotel Brisas del Caribe)
- Vrouwenpolder, Zeeland, Netherlands.
- Waiehu, Maui, Hawaiian Island.
- Walcheren Island, Netherlands, Zoutelande and Westkapelle.
- Wells-next-the-Sea (1), Holkham Pines, Norfolk, UK.
- Wells-next-the-Sea (2), Holkham Pines, Norfolk, UK.
- West Meadow Beach "Old Field Club" in Stony Brook, Long Island, New York.
- Westerslag, Texel Island, Netherlands.
- Weymouth, Dorset, UK (a fine replica of a bathing machine)
- Whitstable #1, Kent, UK.
- Whitstable #2, Kent, UK
- Worthing, West Sussex, UK.
- Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, Caribbean.
- Zandvoort, Netherlands.
- Zarautz Beach, Basque Country.
(No hints available.)
...other caches hidden or found by this user
- Looking east from Lee-on-the-Solent huts Looking towards the town, and Portsmouth.
- Looking towards SouthamptonIn the distant background is Fawley and a cache "without a paddle"
- Happy Days in the SummerAmy and Adam having fun.
- A bathing machine
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum