As NASA and the USGS prepare to launch Landsat 9, join us for the Worldwide Flash Mob Event that conjoins art, science, just plain old fun, and a little competition.
Step 1: Get one 2-liter soda bottle for each person in your party
Step 2: Draw a picture or print a photograph on one piece of paper. Maximum size: 4 inches x 14 inches
Step 3: Using clear packing tape, attach your artwork to the SODA bottle so the top is facing up
Step 4: Add water until it is approximately one-third full
Step 5: Bring the bottles, a sense of humor, and a little competitive spirit to the event
Flash Mob Component:
WWFM XVIII - World Wide Flash Mob coordinated events (see the growing bookmark list):
Prior to the start time, mosey and wander about nonchalantly ... When I set the first soda bottle on a table, rush over to set your soda bottle on a table. This concludes the Flash Mob component. Visit this site for all the pertinent information about GC WWFM.
Bottle Art Competition:
By a secret vote of the attendees, prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
Prettiest - funniest - most original artwork.
- To enter:
- Bring your soda bottle 1/3 filled with clear water and the artwork attached
- Determine which category you want to enter
- Colored number and scotch tape will be provided
- Add the appropriately colored number to your soda bottle
- Place it on the correct table for judging
- To vote
- Each person will be given one yellow, blue, and green ballot
- Voting will begin at 4:05 and end at 4:20
- Cast one vote per category
- Prizes will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd top vote-getters in each category
Soda Bottle Competition: (click here for demonstration)
NASA does not get rewards for fastest, highest, or longest. This contest is all about accuracy. We will divide the group into approximately 10 - 12 teams. Team Landsat will launch one soda bottle, which will serve as a target. Each member of the team that launches a soda bottle that lands closest to Team Landsat's bottle will win a prize.
- Launch procedure
- gsmX2 will attach each team's soda bottle to the launch platform
- the team will have 30 seconds to position the launch platform within the launch area
- gsmX2 will add the safety loop
- a team member will use no more than TEN stokes of the bicycle pump to get the pressure to NO MORE than 35 PSI NOTE: If you overpressurize, the water will drain out. The team will launch an air-filled soda bottle.
- Once everything is safe, the crowd will commence with a 5-second countdown
- a team member will launch the soda bottle.
- measurements will be taken where the soda bottle comes to rest.
By following these procedures, the activity is safe. The soda bottle will ascend to approximately 100 feet and descend completely empty.