REALLY SideTracked - Amotherby
Looking east over the site of the level crossing - none of the former station buildings remain
Amotherby railway station was located on the disused Thirsk and Malton railway line which ran between the two towns.
Opened by the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway, then absorbed by the North Eastern Railway, the station joined the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923.
Amotherby Station looking west in 1895
The station had a single platform on the 'up' side of the line with a two storey brick built stationmaster's house which incorporated the station offices, the building was enlarged in 1863, 1875 (when a waiting room and office were added) and 1890. Amotherby was one of five stations on the line that had a two level platform. When built the platform was very low but in 1865 the NER settled on a standard height platform 2' 6" above rail level. The section of platform in front of the station building remained at its original height to accommodate the existing windows which would have had their sills at platform level the remainder of the platform was raised to the new standard height.
Amotherby Station looking east c1950s. Note the two goods warehouses on either side of the line.
Amotherby had a small goods yard with three sidings mainly on the 'up' side of the line one served coal drops to the east of the station and the other served a cattle dock. The station also had two small timber good warehouses one on either side of the main line adjacent to the level crossing. A third siding on the 'down' side ran parallel with the main line and could accommodate 70 wagons.
Amotherby station looking west in 1962. The coal drops are seen on the left.
Newsham Mills (later known as Parkes Mill) were built in 1862 alongside the station on its south side. The mills were provided with a private siding with a covered hoist by the NER, a second siding was added in 1861.
Amotherby station looking west in 1950, Parkes Mill is seen on the left
The London and North Eastern Railway closed the station to passengers in 1930. The station remained open for freight traffic and saw regular passenger use until 27th July 1964 with a range of excursion trains using the station, these included shopping, ramblers and football excursions, Sunday school outings to Scarborough and the usual enthusiast specials. The last ramblers excursion ran to Kirbymoorside on 3rd May 1964 and the last passenger train was one of the Sunday school excursions. Although the rest of the line remained open for freight until 10th August 1964.
Bradshaw Timetable, July 1922
Amotherby stayed open until 17th October 1964 in order to honour a long term contract with the mill and the 3 ½ mile section of line between Amotherby and Malton was the last section of the Thirsk and Malton line to close.
About SideTracked Caches
This cache belongs to the SideTracked series. It is not designed to take you to a magical place with a breath taking view. It's a distraction for the weary traveller, but anyone else can go and find it too. More Information can be found at the SideTracked Website