This geocaches is a part of the Shenandoah 250 project, a community celebration of the 250th anniversary of Shenandoah County in 2022. This cache was designed and placed by students at Massanutten Regional Governor's School for Integrated Environmental Science and Technology
The Burnshire dam is a hydroelectric generator located on the North Fork of the Shenandoah River at the base of the Massanutten Mountain. Directly across from the dam is the Burshire bridge that leads to Woodstock Tower road and the Leisure Point community.
The Burnshire Dam has a long and important history for the town of Woodstock, VA. Dr. J. I. Triplett, a prominent local businessman, purchased the Old Rush's Mill in 1873. The mill had a large water wheel and was used for grinding grains into flour (Burnshire hydroelectric, n.d.). In the 1890's Dr. Tripplett started converting the grist mill into a hydroelectric power generator. The dam was the very first source of electricity for the town of Woodstock. The electricity was first used in 1903 for street lights then county buildings. In 1936 the worst flood in the area's history completely flooded and destroyed the powerhouse. The wooden building was replaced with a two-story concrete structure that is still on the property today. In the 1950s, the dam was officially named "Burnshire Dam" after the family who managed the site. Two generations of the Burshire family operated the dam for over 30 years (Burnshire hydroelectric, n.d.). In 1956 the property was sold to VEPCO, which is now called Dominion Power, and three days later, the company shut down the hydroelectric power generation. In 1979 the dam was purchased in response to the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act that promotes the use of renewable energy (Burnshire hydroelectric, n.d.).
Over several years the dam is renovated to generate electricity again, but several large floods make the process challenging. Sadly in 1992, the dam was shut down again because the property owners could not maintain the facilities. In 2012 the current owner of the dam, Lee Harvey, purchased the property. A lot of work needed to be done on the dam to make the hydroelectric generation function again. There was a lot of damage and debris, one of the turbine's runners was even being used as a mailbox post. The dam is currently generating electricity, The Harveys sell the power back to Domino for 3.2 cents per kilowatt, but it costs 12 cents per kilowatt to power the plant. The Burnshire dam is an integral part of the history of Woodstock. The town would not be the same without it.
Figure 1
Burnshire Dam in 1930

Note. The dam in 1930 after the flood of 1924 destroyed the original power house. The white foundation can be seen in the foreground, behind is the wooden powerhouse. In the background behind the trees is the home where the Burnshire family lived.
Figure 2
Burnshire Dam in 1909

Note. An old postcard depicting the dam in 1909.
Figure 3
Powerhouse in 1936

Note. The flood of 1936 destroyed the wooden power house. The image shows the damages left behind.
For hydroelectric power to work, water needs to be stored higher up and have a drop in elevation so the water can fall through the penstock to the turbine propeller. As the water rotates the turbine, a metal shaft in the electric generator turns, producing electricity. The generator is connected to power lines that carry electricity to its designated locations. After producing the electricity, the water continues past the turbine and goes back into the river (USGS, n.d.).
Figure 3
Figure of Hydroelectric Power

Note. This shows how hydroelectric power works.
References
Burnshire hydroelectric. (n.d.). Burshire History. Burnshire Hydroelectric LLC. http://www.burnshirehydro.com/history
“Hydroelectric Power: How It Works Completed.” Hydroelectric Power: How It Works | U.S.
Geological Survey, https://www.usgs.gov/special-topics/water-science-school/science/hydroelectric-power-how-it-works.