Skip to content

Trading with Whalers (Ōtepoti Dunedin) Multi-Cache

Hidden : 5/1/2022
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


This cache highlights two places where Māori and European cultures met: Te Umu Kuri/ Wellers Rock, the site of the Weller Brothers’ whaling station (1831 – 1840), and the Ōtākou Marae Memorial gateway commemorating the centennial of the Treaty of Waitangi.

There is space to pull over at the side of the road close to the Ōtākou Marae gateway and at Wellers Rock. .

Waypoint One: Te Umu Kuri / Wellers Rock plaque

You’ll notice that the wording on this plaque is somewhat dated. So raise an eyebrow, then collect the EAST coordinate numbers:

D = Last digit of the year the plaque was laid by Lord Bledisloe.
E = # letters in the second word, fifth line of the plaque
F = # letters in the third word, fifth line of the plaque.


From 1831 to 1840 this was the site of the Weller Brothers’ whaling station. At the “Black Rock” itself were the shears (a wooden tripod crane used for hauling out whales) and the trypots where the blubber was rendered down to produce oil. The clouds of black greasy smoke and stinking rotting remains of whales would have been ghastly – but it was the smell of money!


Between here and the present-day Ōtākou Marae was the company town – but the land where it stood was mostly washed away by 1870. You would have seen a large two-story building that was the company’s store and trading post, surrounded by whalers’ cottages and workers’ houses (both European-style and Māori whare), storage sheds, a carpenter’s workshop and a cooper’s workshop (making barrels). Inland were small gardens, fruit trees, crops and paddocks.

Along the foreshore was a seawall made of whale skulls to help stop erosion, and slipways, jetties and boats. In the harbour were visiting deep-sea and bay-whaling ships, as well as the Weller’s own ships.

Over half the people you saw would be local Māori men and women, either working or visiting to trade, plus men from all over the world - ex-Australian convicts, English, Americans, French…

For almost a decade, the Ōtākou whaling station was one of the largest and most profitable settlements in New Zealand. Under the patronage of chief Karetai, a thriving community formed from the blending of cultures.

Waypoint Two: Ōtākou Marae Centennial Memorial Gateway plaques

There are two plaques on this Centennial Memorial gateway. Read both plaques to collect the SOUTH coordinate numbers:
A = # words and dates on both plaques.
B = Digital root of all the digits in the dates on both plaques.
C = # times the letter “M” appears on both plaques


The Herald/Bunbury copy of the Treaty of Waitangi was signed by Otakou chiefs Karetai and Kōrako on 13 June 1840. The actual place is uncertain; it may have been on board the "Herald", but my guess is that is was probably at Harwoods store at the Otakou whaling settlement close to Te Umu Kuri/ Wellers Rock.

The church and marae weren't here in 1840, of course. This Mission Reserve was only set aside in 1857, after local chiefs had accepted Christianity and the earlier church at Ruatitiko village was abandoned due to erosion.

This striking gateway and Ōtākou Māori Memorial Methodist Church behind were built in 1940, replacing an 1865 church. They commemorate the signing of the Treaty and the establishment of the first Christian mission in the South Island by James Watkin 16 May 1840. The unique concrete panels were cast using moulds taken from carvings held in the Otago Museum.

The building on the right is the Ōtākou wharenui, Tamatea, built 1945. Chiefs Karetai (c 1781 – 1860), Taiaroa (c 1795 – 1863) and Hoani Wetere Kōrako (c 1815 – 1873) are buried in the cemetery behind the marae. Note: this is a private urupā and access has been refused.

You will find the final cache at S45 47.ABC E170 43.DEF
It's in the general area of Tahakopa village, where many of the Maori who worked at the whaling station lived. There has been a lot of coastal erosion since the 1830s. Walk along the beach and look towards Port Chalmers to see the same view that is on the logbook cover.
Checksum: A+B+C+D+E+F= 37



==============================================================================================================

Before the whalers

From 1823 onwards, after the "Sealers' War" was resolved, the chiefs Karetai and Taratu (the leaders on Otago Peninsula) and Taiaroa (based at West Harbour) encouraged European contact. Ōtākou Māori developed an export economy supplying food and flax fibre to the takata pora. Otago Harbour settlements were the biggest in the South.

The Kai Huaka feud 1825 - 1828

But, from 1825 to 1828 the bloody Kai Huaka feud between different Kāi Tahu hapū of Banks Peninsula, Otago and Foveaux Strait weakened Kāi Tahu. Muskets had changed the nature of Māori warfare, upset the balance of power and displaced tribes in the North Island Musket Wars. Now the Ruapuke Island Māori also acquired some muskets through European trade, and that gave them the advantage in this conflict. The feuding left Kāi Tahu divided and destabilised… easy prey…



Te Rauparaha threatens the south 1828 - 1832

In 1828 the well-armed Ngāti Toa chief Te Rauparaha, based at Kapiti Island off the Wellington coast, destroyed the important Kāi Tahu settlement at Kaikoura. Refugees poured into the south. In following years Te Rauparaha returned, attacking Kaiapoi and Banks Peninsula in 1829, sacking Kaiapoi Pā in 1831 and Onawe Pā at Akaroa in 1832. Without muskets, the Ōtākou Māori were defenceless. How could they obtain modern weapons?

The Weller Brothers

The Wellers were prosperous Kentish landowners and brewers. The family sold up, established themselves in Sydney 1824 – 1830, and began seeking investment opportunities.

Whaling was already successful around Australia. In 1829 Southland chief Te Whakataupata had provided land at Preservation Inlet for the first shore-based whaling station in New Zealand. In exchange, he had received 60 muskets and other goods.

Southern right whales followed regular winter migration paths along the east coast (March to October) and came into sheltered bays like Otago Harbour to nurse their calves. Whale oil was used in the same way that petroleum-based products are used today – for lighting, heating, industrial lubricants and an ingredient to manufacture many other commodities.

In April 1831 Joseph Weller inspected Ōtākou, decided it would make a good base, and claimed it in the name of King William IV of Great Britain. (William, the “Sailor King”, was Victoria’s uncle – Victoria became queen on his death in 1837.)

Whaling begins 1831

In November 1831 the Weller Brothers Joseph, Edward and George returned on their own ship, the "Lucy Ann". They landed at Te Umu Kuri, soon to be known as the Black Rock, now Wellers Rock. They leased land at Te Umu Kuri and the northern end of Omate Beach from Tahatu (? -1836) and Karetai (c 1805 – 1860). This customary arrangement for squatters rights and fishing privileges was "he noho noa iho". The chiefs received six cases of muskets, gunpowder and other goods.

After a setback when the settlement burnt down in early 1832, making their first season a loss, the Wellers prospered. Between 1834 – 1838 they exported over 200 tuns (191,000 litres) of whale oil each year, plus whalebone (baleen). They established two other “fisheries” in the Otago Harbour, at Harington Point and Pilots Beach, and six other stations on the east coast between Taieri Island and Banks Peninsula.



This first permanent European settlement in Otago was a substantial commercial operation, with over 80 men working through the March – October season and also hundreds of other men on shore from visiting bay-whaling and deep-sea whaling ships. During the 1830s Otago Harbour was the second busiest port in New Zealand after the Bay of Islands.



Māori were about half the whaleboat crews, employed on much the same terms as Europeans, some rising to become headsmen of their boats. They also provided the station’s general labour force.

The Wellers’ store was the South Island’s biggest trading post, giving Māori reliable access to European goods and reprovisioning visiting whaling and trading ships. Māori sold timber, dressed flax, pigs, sealskins and potatoes to the Wellers and to visiting whaling ships. The Wellers exported local goods and Māori curios to Sydney. Māori rangatira visited Sydney regularly and developed relationships with the colony's commercial and political leaders.

As well as trading on behalf of their people, Māori of mana traded for themselves. For example, store account books show Karetai traded potatoes and sealskins for iron pots, knives, blankets, boots, clothes, alcohol, tobacco and sugar – his wives must have been kept happy. The more flamboyant chief Taiaroa liked alcohol and fine clothes.

The most expensive purchases were sealing and whaling boats, which quickly replaced canoes because they were easily managed and only needed small crews. By 1843 most Māori had access to boats for fishing and travel, and the unused coastal walking trails were overgrown.

Defending the South

In the summer of 1832/1833, a small raiding party (Taua Iti) under chief Tuhawaiki from Foveaux Strait and Karetai from Otago routed Te Rauparaha at Kaikoura, then burnt Jacky Guard’s whaling station at Cloudy Bay (which was under Te Rauparaha’s patronage). Karetai was shot in the knee and lost his left eye.

Then in summer 1833/34, a large war party (Taua Nui) under Te Whakataupuka from Foveaux Strait, with Taiaroa and Karetai, failed to find Te Rauparaha but destroyed every whaling station in Cloudy Bay.

Insults, Plundering, Threats, Kidnapping

The Ōtākou settlement existed under Māori customary law. When the takata pora forgot this, things could go badly wrong…

When the Taua Nui returned to Otago in July 1834, one of the whaling ships in the harbour was the brig “Mary & Elizabeth” under Captain Lovat. A boat headsman wrote later that Captain Lovat “got into quarrels with the chiefs whom he made drunk and afterwards ill used – they informed him if he did not go away they would take the Brig”. Insulting powerful chiefs is a stupid idea, especially when they control the harbour your ship is anchored in. Ten of Captain Lovat’s crew took this threat seriously and deserted, but Captain Lovat stayed at anchor in the harbour.

As threatened, Te Whakataupuku’s war party plundered the “Mary & Elizabeth”. They also ransacked the Wellers’ station, assaulted Edward Weller, and insulted Captain Hayward and most of the other gentlemen (but, significantly, did not cause permanent injuries). It is possible that one of the instigators was Taiaroa, resentful of his rival Karetai’s success in hosting the profitable trading post. It sounds as though this plundering was actually muru, the taking of personal property as compensation for an offence - NZ History: Muru

Tensions rose. To make matters worse, a chief’s child died, probably from the flu just brought across from Sydney by the Wellers’ ship “Lucy Ann”. Māori planned to board the “Lucy Ann” and kill the Europeans aboard in retribution. At his time Tuhawaiki was in Sydney with some other high-born southern Māori. The Europeans threatened to hang them if attacked.

Captain Anglem lured Karetai, his wife and two of their children on board the “Lucy Ann”, got them below decks, and sailed for Sydney 21 July 1834 taking them hostage. Māori threatened to kill the remaining Europeans at the station, but the relatives of the hostages prevented this. Likewise, when the “Joseph Weller” returned to Otago in September 1834 Māori plundered the ship but the hostages’ relatives intervened to calm the situation.

In fear of their lives, the Weller brothers now planned to abandon the whaling station. But the NSW government, realising the economic value of this “important British settlement in the South Seas”, provided the “Joseph Weller” with swivel guns and a long gun for protection. Firepower changes the balance of power. The situation settled down.

Marrying into the hapū

About this time Edward Weller married chief Tahatu’s daughter Paparu, bringing the station under the senior chief’s close protection. Their daughter Fanny was born in 1835. After Papuru’s death in childbirth in 1838, he married chief Taiaroa’s daughter Nikuru and had a second daughter Nani Hana Weller (Hana Wera).

Octavius Harwood, who was the Weller brothers’ store clerk from 1838, married Titapu, daughter of local chief Pokene, and grieved when she died from tuberculosis in 1842. In late 1843 Pokene then arranged for his niece Piro, who had also recently lost a spouse, to take refuge with Harwood.

Each shore whaler “had a Māori wife according to their custom”, where domestic comforts were provided in exchange for payments to the woman and her family throughout the whaling season. Many of these arrangements became affectionate permanent partnerships, often formalised by Christian marriage once missionary James Watkin arrived in Otago.

Karetai hostage in Sydney

Kidnapped on the “Lucy Ann”, Karetai and his family were unwillingly detained at Sydney from August 1834. They were guests of the Reverend Samuel Marsden, who (as missionaries do) gave them Christian instruction. Karetai told Marsden he wanted missionaries in Otago, not guns.

Marsden reported the Karetai family’s plight to the 1835 British Parliamentary Select Committee which was examining the state of the New Zealand Aborigines (i.e. natives). Merchants were already pressuring Britain to annex New Zealand for commercial reasons (their exports from NZ to the UK were taxed heavily because NZ was a foreign country). Activities like this mistreatment of Karetai’s family made missionaries also believe that annexation of New Zealand was the best way forward.

Measles

A measles outbreak was in Sydney and in February 1835 Karetai and his wife became gravely ill. They received good nursing and recovered. However, when the family finally returned to Otago on the “Children” in March 1835, the measles infection came with them. On the way the ship called in at Ruapuke Island, where Te Whakataupuka was gathering another war party to attack Te Rauparaha.

Te Whakataupuka’s taua set off north but went ashore at Measley Beach, south of Toko Mouth, as they fell ill. The chief himself was among the dead. It is said that nine waka put into the beach but only one was needed for the survivors… ODT 28 November 1918; Old Shells and Measles Hell on the South Otago Coast

By May 1835 the measles epidemic reached Otago. People tried to cool their fever in the sea at Pilot’s Beach, also known as Measley Beach.

Then in 1836 a bad strain of flu arrived…and tuberculosis came to stay… It is estimated that the epidemics of the 1830s killed between a third to a half of the Māori population. Potato exports almost ceased in 1836, never returning to pre-epidemic levels. Dressed flax was even more labour-intensive to prepare and this trade also ceased.

The end of whaling

After the boom, the bust. Rival entrepreneurs moved in, notably John Jones at Waikouaiti in 1837. Whale numbers plummeted and the industry collapsed. Less oil and lower prices, along with a series of shipwrecks and Edward’s ill health, led to the failure of the enterprise.

In 1841 the Ōtākou station was advertised for sale, although it continued for some years under other owners. The Wellers’ land purchases in New Zealand (including buying Stewart Island for £10!) were rejected by the Crown. Their extensive land speculation in New South Wales also failed, leading to bankruptcy in 1842.

Aotearoa annexed 1840

Australian merchants and the London Missionary Society were pressuring the British government to remove trade barriers and stop lawlessness among British subjects in NZ. In 1836 Edward Gibbon Wakefield and the New Zealand Company began lobbying the government for a charter to colonise New Zealand. By 1839, the NZ Company had sold sections and settler ships were already on their way. (Yes - the European colonisation of Aotearoa was a private commercial enterprise.) And, quelle horreur! In 1839 Jean-François Langlois and the Nanto-Bordelaise Company planned to settle Akaroa and claim the South Island for France. Lieutenant-Governor William Hobson was tasked with securing the whole of the country for the British Government.

So in 1840, relations between Māori and takata pora in Otago were put on a different footing. On 21 May 1840 Governor Hobson claimed the North Island for Britain, as ceded by the Treaty of Waitangi initially signed by a number of northern chiefs on 6 February 1840. He claimed the South Island and Stewart Island for Britain, by right of discovery. The United Kingdom government affirmed the proclamation by publication in the London Gazette 2 October 1840 London Gazette 2 October 1840 Page 2179; London Gazette 2 October 1840 Page 2180 (Note the typo - NZ extends up to 34 degrees 30 minutes north?]

Christianity arrives 1840

Another new influence arrived in 1840 – Christianity. The Weslyan missionary Reverend James Watkin landed at Waikouaiti 15 May 1840 and on 17 November 1840 the Catholic Bishop Pompallier arrived at Ōtākou. The first recorded Christian service was held on Sunday 22 November in Hoare’s shed. By the end of the year Korako, chief at Tahakopa village, had built a small chapel on the point above Wellers Rock.

The coming of the Crown; the Herald/Bunbury copy of the Treaty of Waitangi

Major Thomas Bunbury K.T.S. 80th Regt was tasked with taking a copy of the Treaty (Māori translation) to the South Island to gather additional signatures and claim the South Island and Stewart Island for the Crown. At Ruapuke Island on 10 June the Treaty was signed by Tuhawaiki (paramount chief of Kāi Tahu). Although Taiaroa’s name is on the treaty, he was not in any of the places the Herald stopped and did not sign.

On 13 June 1840 the HMS Herald arrived at Otago Heads. A gun was fired at 11 a.m. as a signal to the shore residents. The ship did not anchor, but Major Bunbury went ashore in the gig (the ship’s boat). My guess is that he probably went to Harwood’s store at Ōtākou , but others suggest Pukekura - we can’t be sure. Karetai signed the Treaty as John Karitai, and Korako (probably Hoani Wetere Korako, nephew of Taiaroa and leader at Tahakopa village) made his mark. Bunbury stayed ashore only 4½ hours before he returned to the Herald and sailed north for Cloudy Bay. In the harbour at the time were two American and two French whaling vessels.


After the Wellers

The failure of the Wellers’ whaling trade left a gaping hole in the Otago economy. Shore whaling continued for a few years, with one or two boats putting out from Otago Harbour when a whale was seen, while bay whalers and deep-sea whalers continued to call in regularly. Octavius Harwood, who was the Weller brothers’ store clerk from 1838, bought the Weller brothers’ Otago station in 1841 and took over the provisioning of visiting ships.



Many whalers moved to work at Waikouaiti (John Jones had both a whaling station and a farm there), or at whaling stations in Moeraki or Bluff, taking their Kāi Tahu wives with them.

Those who stayed in Ōtākou were mainly “a sorry crowd” who “lead a most idle disorderly life”. With the discipline imposed by the Wellers removed, Ōtākou developed a reputation as “the worst stew in New Zealand” where “drunkenness and lewdness are rampant”. There were two grog shops that sold poor-quality brandy at an exorbitant price. Sadly, between 1841 and 1848 almost half the money spent by Māori at Harwood’s store was for buying alcohol. Disorderly behaviour included the “First murder in Otago” Otago Witness 5 November 1853; Evening Star 25 October 1884

But other incomers were becoming true settlers. Some ex-whalers moved to live in their wives’ villages and leased land, becoming small run holders and farmers. Octavius Harwood developed a shipping trade to Wellington, grew grain and root crops and ran a range of stock. This was destructive for the ecology; wild herds of cattle, pigs and goats and incursion from dogs, cats and reshaped the flora and fauna.

The Otago Block Purchase 1844 New Edinburgh map

In April 1844 surveyor Frederick Tuckett arrived at Otago to find a suitable site for the projected New Edinburgh settlement. With the permission of Governor Fitzroy, the New Zealand Company (acting on behalf of the Free Church of Scotland) company was allowed to buy up to 150,000 acres by direct negotiation with the owners. Tuckett noted that one advantage of Otago was that there were few natives "so that settlers in this part of the country have nothing to fear from claims to the land or annoying attempts at extortion".

At an initial meeting on 18 June the Māori stated that they wished to retain the entire Otago Peninsula, and suggested purchase prices of up to £1 million. Tuckett was only authorised to offer £2000 (the NZ Company became bankrupt only a few years later). Tuckett did not want to leave the Peninsula in Māori hands for fear a rival settlement would develop.

Kāi Tahu were extremely keen to attract settlement as a market for their produce and a source of European goods. So eventually they agreed on selling all but the northern end of the Peninsula, selling 534,000 acres (244,000 ha) for £2400. The deed was signed at Koputai (Port Chalmers) on 31 July 1844, signed by Tuhawaiki, Karetai and Taiaroa amongst others. At the Otago purchase in 1844 Karetai strongly urged mutual respect among Māori and European for each other's land rights.

The Kemp Purchase 1848

On 12 June 1848 on board the HMS Fly in Akaroa Harbour, Karetai and Taiaroa were two of the Kāi Tahu chiefs who signed the Kemp Deed. (Sadly, Tuhawaiki had drowned in October 1844.) This was the largest Crown purchase from Kāi Tahu, selling Waitaki and Canterbury (although the boundaries were not well defined at the time) for £2,000. Settlements and mahika kai areas were to be protected and adequate reserves were to be provided.

It seems odd that Kāi Tahu would sell such a large area with little discussion, but in the Wairau purchase of 1847 the Crown had bought Nelson and North Canterbury down to Kaiapoi from the Ngati Toa (Te Rauparaha’s tribe). Much of this area was traditionally Kāi Tahu land, only invaded by Te Rauparaha around 1830 before he was repelled by Kāi Tahu counter-attacks. Kāi Tahu felt that they had to sign Kemp’s Deed to confirm their mana over the remaining land. And of course they had no way of knowing that, instead of a mutually beneficial partnership sharing mahika kai resources with a small number of incomers under Crown oversight, runholders would replace wetlands and tussock with sheep.

Trade with Otepoti 1848 -

When the first Scottish Lay Association settlers arrived 23 March 1848 they were welcomed by Ōtākou Māori , who showed them how to prepare native foods and build with local materials, supplied labour and provided local and coastal boat travel. For the first decade of Dunedin’s settlement Māori supplied the hungry settlers with food, bringing boatloads of fish and potatoes to Otepoti (the place of boats) for trade.

However, the leaders of New Edinburgh ignored the natives. In the mid 1850’s the whare where Māori stayed while trading in town were removed. The replacement accommodation building built by the government got in the way of harbour redevelopment and was also removed. Māori effectively lost access to the Dunedin market, just as it boomed.

Just a couple of years before his death in 1860, Karetai signed Matiaha Tiramorehu’s 1857 petition to Queen Victoria, asking for the Crown to address its failure to honour the terms of its land purchases from Ngāi Tahu, in particular, the setting aside of sufficient reserves for the iwi to live on.

Ōtākou Māori adapted fast, as they always had, and in 1868 subdivided their customary land into individual titles. However, with the loss of customary fisheries and mahika kai areas, living off these smallholdings alone was generally uneconomic. Restricted to a small area and lacking capital to improve their land, Ōtākou Māori became dependent on seasonal wage work.

Then, after the depression of the 1880’s, dairying became profitable and a creamery opened at Otakou in 1897 Otago Witness 29 April 1897

In 1948 Raniera Ellison, a descendant of both chief Matenga Taiaroa and Edward Weller though his grandmother Nani Weller, started the innovative Otakou Fisheries company. Te Ao Hou November 1957.

And as we know, the claims process began by Karetai and Taiaroa finally came to fruition in 1998 with the signing of the Kāi Tahu Treaty of Waitangi settlement

Shoreline Erosion... Ōtākou Marae 1857 -

Meanwhile, remember in the 1830’s the Wellers had built a seawall of whale skulls to try to stop erosion in front of their whaling station? As the Ōtākou channel changed position, shoreline erosion intensified, until by the 1860’s the land where the station had stood was washed away and Harwoods former store was surrounded by sand. Te Rauone Beach was also eroded and the land behind overwhelmed by sand, forcing the village of Ruatitiko (Harington Point) to be abandoned.



In 1857 Karetai and Taiaroa gave land behind Omate Beach and funding to establish a church, mission reserve, marae and cemetery. The 1865 weatherboard church was replaced in 1941 by the present Ōtākou Māori Memorial Methodist Church, commemorating the establishment of the first Christian mission in the South Island by Rev James Watkin on 16 May 1840 and the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi at Ōtākou on 13 June 1840.

The first wharenui (meeting house) built here in 1874 was named Mahi Tamariki, because the chiefs who had signed the land deeds had now died and the task of settling land grievances was the work of the next generations. The present (1945) meeting house is named Tamatea, after the ancestor who captained the Takitimu waka.

Chiefs Karetai (c 1781 – 1860), Taiaroa (c 1795 – 1863) and Hoani Wetere Korako (c 1815 – 1873) are buried in the cemetery behind the marae. Note that this is a private urupa and access is not permitted.



Karetai’s headstone (English version) reads “Under the shelter of the authority of Queen Victoria, his conduct to the people of the Māori and European races was kind and liberal”. As his Te Ara biography summarises: In a critical period for his tribe under the dual impact of European settlement and epidemic disease, Karetai's modest and dignified leadership provided much-needed stability. He accepted the new world while retaining his place in the old. This policy established by Karetai became a lasting tradition at Ōtākou.

* Note: Ōtākou was the name for the channel that ran down the eastern (southern) side of the Otago Harbour from the mouth to Harwood Point, past the whaling station site and main Māori villages. Aramoana was the channel down the western (northern) side through to Koputai/Port Chalmers. Sealers used the name Otago to refer to both the land by the anchorage and the wider region. When the Weller brothers established a whaling settlement by Te Umu Kuri/Wellers rock in 1831, it became known to the whalers as Ōtākou, as are the present Kāi Tahu marae and kaika.

Sources:

• “The Face of Nature: An Environmental History of the Otago Peninsula” Jonathan West 2017
• “An environmental history of the Otago Peninsula : dialectics of ecological and cultural change from first settlement to 1900” Jonathan West, (2009). (Thesis, Doctor of Philosophy). University of Otago. http://hdl.handle.net/10523/3538
• “Behold the Moon: The European Occupation of the Dunedin District 1770 – 1848” Peter Entwisle 1999
• “The Old Whaling Days: A History of Southern New Zealand from 1830 to 1840” Robert McNab Whitcombe and Tombs 1913 http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-McNOldW.html
• “Lore and history of the South Island Māori: Ōtākou” W A Taylor http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-TayLore-t1-body1-d15.html
• “The Wellers' whaling station: The Social and Economic Formation of an Ōtākou Community, 1817 -1850” Alexandra King http://hdl.handle.net/10523/5533
• “Gaining a Foothold: Historical Records of Otago’s Eastern Coast 1770 – 1839” Ian Church 2007
• Ōtākou and Vicinity; Te Runanga Ōtākou https://www.orc.govt.nz/media/3171/submission-evidence-provided-te-runanga-Ōtākou -12-apr-11.pdf
• Ōtakou Marae - history and community https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/teahikaa/audio/201836725/takou-marae-history-and-community
• “Ōtākou : A story of far off days” by Rev T A Pybus 1941 http://www.methodist.org.nz/files/docs/wesley%20historical/1(2)%20Ōtākou .pdf
• NZ History: The Journey of the Treaty https://nzhistory.govt.nz/files/documents/Journey.pdf
• NZ History: Herald Bunbury treaty copy https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/interactive/herald-bunbury-treaty-copy

There is plenty of room in the log book to put in the date that you sign it. Because the date can be important for some challenges, logs without a correct date may be subject to deletion. I will use my common sense and discretion as we all make genuine mistakes at times.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Va gur zneenz tenff, qverpgyl haqrearngu gur frnyvbaf... Guvf vf jurer Gnunxbcn ivyyntr jnf, va gur junyvat qnlf bs gur 1830f.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)