Frinton Station was opened by the Tendring Hundred Railway (THR) in 1867, and the first train ran to Walton on the 17th May of that year. The Great Eastern Railway acquired the THR and adjacent Clacton-on-Sea Railway in 1883, and opened a new goods yard and station building a few years later. This station building can still be seen today. The line became part of the LNER in 1923 and then part of BR following nationalisattion in 1948.
The station is immediately to the west of a level crossing that provides road access into Frinton. The level crossing, with white gates, was traditionally operated manually until 2009, when it was replaced by a barrier system - much to the annoyance of locals who wanted to retain the gates. The gates are still on display as part of the garden area at the edge of the station car park. The crossing-keeper's cottage still stands by the level crossing.
There is a multi as part of the FYI series based on Frinton-on-Sea railway history - see GC8GE3Z.