This cache is placed with the owner's permission on private property that was the Illinois Central Railroad right of way. There is a wide shoulder for parking. Through this area the IC was constructed in 1852. The first train ran through Heyworth in 1854. Abraham Lincoln was an attorney for the IC railroad. In 1972 the IC merged with the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio to become the Illinois Central Gulf. In the mid to late 1980's ICG began to sell off some of its east-west lines and most of its redundant north -south lines, most of its lines were bought by other railroads, but the north-south line from the Illinois River to north of Heyworth was sold for other purposes. The property this cache is on was bought by the current owner in 1986. Adjacent, and just east of the IC right of way is the right of way to the old Interurban, which was an electric passenger service train that ran through here from 1906 to 1953, with stops about every 2 miles.
Stories have been told about this wild bit of old track being haunted by a lost member of an ancient tribe that lived and hunted in this area. He has become known as The Myrkwood Monster; his old name forgotten in the mists of the ages. So....... NO CREPUSCULAR OR AFTER DARK CACHING,
Another note:During deer season the area surrounding this old right of way may have hunters during both bow and firearm season.