"Rensselaerswyck" identifies the large tract of land first granted to Killiaen Van Rensselaer in 1629 and "owned" by his descendants for more than the next two hundred years. It included all the land that surrounded Beverwyck and then Albany.
Killiaen Van Rensselaer took steps to establish a plantation or "patroonship" in the upper Hudson Valley as an efficient way to cultivate the land and mine the wilderness for farm and forest products that could be exported to Europe and sold. Before his death in 1643, the "first Patroon" engaged hundreds of talented and willing settlers from across Europe and sent them to Rensselaerswyck to be his tenants. These American pioneers were primarily farmers but also were artisans, tradesmen, and others who could support what became the most successful settlement initiative of the New Netherland era.
Initially, most of Van Rensselaer's tenants settled within a few miles of Fort Orange (later known as Albany). Some of these tenants did practice agriculture and husbandry as specified in the terms of their contracts. But, in general, any effort to make the plantation profitable for the Patroon was compromised by the widespread interest in trading for furs - initially an irresistible avenue to riches for many living in the region.
In 1685, royal governor Thomas Dongan had issued a patent for the "Manor of Rensselaerswyck" - establishing the patroonship as a legal entity, describing its borders, and defining the special rights of its proprietor. The patent also specifically excluded ". . . fort Albany and the Towne Albany" from the manor - setting the stage for Dongan's granting of the Albany city charter in July 1686.
The cache is listed as being Winter Friendly, but snow plowing could bury it. Also, the traffic along Van Rensselaer Blvd. is often busy, so use caution.
CONGRATULATIONS TO LCSM FOR FIRST TIME FIND!