This is a revisit of a cache in the Faded Markers Series. It is a nice cemetery and thought it needed to be "reborn". This series will mainly focus on older, near forgotten burial plots of pioneers in the Niagara Region and beyond. The goal of this series is not necessarily the length of the walk nor the difficulty of the find, but rather a simple reverence for those who came before us to shape our area.
The one stone remaining at this site on the bank of Lyon’s Creek has been enclosed in a small fence. The monument is for Mary Misoner or Mary Misener, (since there are multiple accounts of different spellings),(1779-1801) the wife of William and daughter of Isaac and Jane Van Sickle.
Due to the early date of her death, no records relating to Mary’s family members has been found. No additional stones were found during a visit to the site in the 1930s. No connection was found to the Misener families of the cemeteries in Crowland or Thorold townships.
The nearby historical sign provides a great account of her life and history.
Have fun and happy caching!