St John the Baptist Lt Yeldham
Parish church, C12/13 and later. Walls of flint and pebble rubble, roof of red clay tiles. Nave C12/13 but W wall rebuilt, probably in 1874, Chancel rebuilt in C15, W belfry C15/16, N porch and S vestry 1891. The Chancel is irregular in plan, wider at the S end, and sharply deflected from the axis of the Nave. The E window is C19. In the N wall there is a window, doorway and 2 arches, all C19. In the S wall is a C15 window, partly restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights and tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label. The roof is 7-canted and boarded, C19. The Nave has in the N wall a late C14 window of one wide light with a slightly ogee cinquefoiled head. Further W is a doorway, probably C13, blocked and partly below ground level, with chamfered jambs and 2-centred head which has been converted to a window. In the S wall are 2 windows; the eastern is late C15, partly restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 4-centred head; the western is C19 except the E splay and semi-circular rear-arch, possibly C12. The W splay is cut back square. Between the windows is a doorway of uncertain date with 2-centred head, now plastered. The W wall and window are C19. The roof is of 7 cants, boarded to the soffit, probably medieval. (Hewett, 1982, 119). The W belfry is weatherboarded with C19 pyramidal roof, supported on 4 posts with tiebeams and chamfered arch-braces, with single unchamfered arch-braces against the side walls, C15/16. There is a C14 piscina in the Chancel with chamfered jambs, trefoiled ogee head, recessed spandrels and quatrefoil drain. The font has a C15 octagonal bowl with cusped panels enclosing a molet, roses, blank shields and a 4-leafed flower, with a C19 stem and base. There are 2 bells of Miles Graye, 1674. In the Chancel there are 3 floor slabs in black marble, to Thomas Cracherode, 1701, to Waldegrave Sidey, born 1661 (partly covered by altar table), and to Sarah Cracherode, widow, 1705. At the W end of the Nave against the belfry are the painted arms of George I in a gilt frame. Outside, against the N wall of the Nave there is a stone coffin-lid found during construction of the S porch, coped slab with beaded edge and cross formy with plain scroll arms springing from the middle of the stem, and stepped base, early C13. The architect responsible for the N vestry, chancel screen, S porch and general restoration in 1891 was J.P. Seddon. The floor-slabs to Thomas and Sarah Cracherode refer to the family recorded in an inscription at Red House (q.v.).
******************************************************
If you would like to add to the Church Micro series yourself then please visit
churchmicro.co.uk
There is also a Church Micro Stats & Information page that can be found at
Statistics
******************************************************
******************************************************
Previous Church Micro's found here
Church Micro 2139... Little Yeldham
******************************************************