Forest Hill Stroll Ad Lab Bonus
The cache is hidden at the Havelock Walk end of the lab.
The name 'Forest Hill' was invented by a developer in the 1790s. It described the natural features of the area. Forest Hill began life when 15 large houses were built on the northern edge of Sydenham Common, where Honor Oak Road now runs.
The Croydon Canal was cut through the area in 1809, but was not a commercial success, mainly because there were so many locks to be negotiated. The London and Croydon Railway Company bought the canal and constructed their railway along more or less the same route. The railway station (opened in 1839) was originally named Dartmouth Arms after the nearby pub. More large houses were built for merchants and professionals who wanted to live in a rural area with easy access to London. These included a large community of Germans who had their own church in Dacres Road. Once the station name was changed to Forest Hill in 1845 development of the area began to spread further.
The cache can be found at N51.26.ABC W000 03.DEF
The Adventure Lab can be found by clicking here
or by scanning this QR code.
