
Town name: Marion Springs
Population: 50
Reason for becoming a lost town: The lumber left and Marion Springs became a hamlet
Town history:
Little is known about the early history of Marion Springs. What is known is the legendary bar that calls Marion Springs home.
Original Bar in Marion Springs. Built by John Frasle around 1900 it was one of the first saloons in Michigan that was owned by women from 1908-1917. Then it was sold Gray and Goschka. When prohibition came about it was turned into the Marion Springs Cheese factory. After prohibition the Rohn family turned it back into a tavern. It had many more owners over the years including the Sawyers, Rinzs, Lynch's Jack and Millie and many more! Some of the most talked about stories were the day the Saginaw County deputy walked in to find a black bear eating a hamburger and drinking a beer at closing time, or the day Ernest Tubbs stopped in and struck up a tune. Or when local Teenagers would pull the pin on the Weigold Boys tractor and wagon and the driver would get all the way home before he realized he left his passengers in the parking lot. Back in these days the only panic buying was when it was last call! The final pictures are of when it burnt in 1988 and the salvaged sign. This building was part of Marion Springs for close to 90 years. Surviving the first pandemic, 2 World Wars and Prohibition.
Cache description: Container is a pill bottle
Notes of interest: Located at the Marion Springs County Park. Please use stealth!
__________________________________________________________________
This cache is part of the Michigan's Lost Towns Cache Series
