Although this church stands empty, it has a long history in this area. Sitting beside the Calliope RSL and ANZAC memorial, a Scottish lady, Mary Black, donated the land for the church on Stirrat Street (Dawson Highway). In the early 1880s, William Kirkpatrick built a modest slab hut with a shingle roof for conducting religious services.
In 1908, a working agreement was drawn up between different faiths and John Bryce Kirkpatrick (son of William Kirkpatrick) built a larger church on this site which was officially registered as the Union Church Calliope. It was called the Union Church as it was used by the Salvation Army and the Presbeterian and Anglican faiths. Ministers from each denomination travelled fm Gladstone to Calliope along dirt tracks to deliver their services on a schedule of trust also drawn up in 1908.
Parking is available on the same side of the road on the western side of GZ, or off street parking opposite the cache site. This is a high muggle area through the week, especially around school times.
TOTT may be required to remove the log. BYOP.