This is a small container. Will need to BYOP.
History of Old Mill Pond Trail:
Built in the 1890's, Lexington’s Old Mill was originally known as the Lexington Manufacturing Company. The mill was constructed using granite quarried less than two miles away and was built on the banks of Twelvemile Creek. The flowing water was used to generate power to over 200 looms and 7,000 spindles, which the mill used to manufacture cotton goods. The mill operated around the clock turning raw cotton into cloth and mattress covers, some of which were exported across the country. It changed hands in the 1920's and cotton production continued on for almost 40 years.
Cotton production ultimately ceased in the early 1960's and the mill building served as a warehouse and boat manufacturing plant. In 1984, the mill was converted into a mixed-use development, much like its current use today.
As part of the Town’s 2012 Vision Plan, a walking trail was planned to be built around the Lexington Mill pond. However, in 2015 those plans were washed away during the historic flooding event that unfolded in the Carolinas. It led to the breach of numerous dams, including the Old Mill’s earthen dam, which sat empty for 9 years.
Although devastating, the flood did provide the Town with a fresh canvas to reimagine this outdoor space. Together through a public/private partnership, the Town of Lexington opened the Old Mill Pond Trail to the public in 2024.