Skip to content

Lancaster County Covered Bridges NORTHEAST Mystery Cache

Hidden : 3/16/2026
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


THE CACHE IS NOT AT THE POSTED COORDINATES!

You will find the answer to the puzzle in the bridge descriptions. No need to visit bridge's for answer's

Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is home to 28 historic covered bridges,
a significant part of Lancaster County's heritage, with many dating back to the mid-1800s. These bridges were constructed to protect their wooden structures from the elements, thereby extending their lifespan. Lancaster County boasts the highest number of covered bridges in Pennsylvania, which is known for its rich tradition of bridge building. The county's covered bridges are often referred to as "kissing bridges" due to their romantic associations and picturesque settings.

Bucher's Mill Covered Bridge, a county-owned and maintained bridge, has its official designation as the Cocalico #2 Bridge.The bridge was built in 1891The bridge has a single-span, wooden, double Burr arch truss design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck width is 13.1 feet and is made from oak planks and has a vertical clearance above deck of 11.5 feet. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County Covered Bridges, on both the inside and outside.Located at: N40 12.482 W76 08.081  

Erb's Covered Bridge was originally built in 1849 for a cost of $700,is a covered bridge that spans Hammer Creek.A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Hammer Creek #1 Bridge.The bridge has a single-span, wooden, double Burr arch truss design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County Covered Bridges, on both the inside and outside. Located at: N40 10.064  W76 14.634 

 Hunsecker Mill Covered Bridge, which spans the Conestoga River, is 180 feet long, making it the longest single-span-covered bridge in the county.The original bridge was built in 1843 by John Russell for $1,988. It was and is a double Burr Arch truss system. It had been swept away by flooding numerous times, most recently in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes. Waters lifted the original structure off its abutments and carried it downstream. Located at:  N40 05.242   W76 14.864

Pinetown Covered Bridge,official designation is Big Conestoga #6, on Bridge Rd. between Manheim & Upper Leacock Townships.over the Conestoga River.   The bridge was built in 1867 by Elias McMellen at a cost of $4,500.In 1972 it was destroyed as a result of flooding caused by Hurricane Agnes.The bridge has a single-span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County Covered Bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in red with white trim.
The bridge has a span length of 124 feet and 133 feet total length, with a width of 12 feet 10 inches clear deck and 15 feet total width. Overhead clearance is 11 feet 6 inches, and an under clearance of 15 feet as listed by the county government, or 17 feet 6 inches with respect to the average water level.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1980.

Located at:  N40 06.338  W76 14.899

Zook's Mill Covered Bridge, official designation Cocalico #7 carries Log Cabin Rd. between Ephrata & Warwick Townships has a single-span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County Covered Bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted red with white trim.
The bridge was built in 1849 by Henry Zook. Unlike many other bridges in the county, the bridge withstood Hurricane Agnes, despite being filled with 6-and-a-half feet of water.

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 11, 1980

Puzzle: N 40° 07.ABC W 076° 13.XYZ

A= 3rd digit of year when Zooks Mill Bridge was built?         
B= 4th digit of year Erb's bridge was built? 
C= 3rd digit of year when Pinetown Bridge was destroyed by Hurricane Agnes?   
X= 4th digit of year when Bucher;s Mill Bridge was built?
Y= The official designation for Pinetown Bridge is Big Conestoga #?  
Z= 4th diget of year when Hunsecker Mill Bridge was built?   
 

 

 

 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

anab ba 3eq te cbfg fbhgu bs 35 fvta abg hfhny uvqr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

Advertising with Us