A real (but virtual) GEOcache
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The building of the Hungarian National Geological Institute on Stefania road is a significant production of the Hungarian architecture.
The geological research of Hungary was started at the XVII. century by domestic and foreign experts. A claim emerged for a new and independent Hungarian Geological Institute as an effect of the conciliation with Austria at 1876 what could be used for scientific and functional goals too. In 18 june 1896 Ferenc József approved the estabilishing of the Hungarian Royal Geological Institute. Our first scientific research institute started at 8. september 1869. Miksa Hantken was the first director of the institute. Because of the growing social claims what generated new functions, it was unavoidable for the scientists to work in their own separated building. The goverment realized this problem, and in 1894 under the ministership of Andor Festetits they started to think about this problem seriously. It gave a big swing to the case when in 1895 landlord Andor Semsey gives 50 000 forints and in 1896 the general assembly of Budapest gives a free parcel at Stefania street for the building. At the same year, the parliament gave the necessary money for the construction. Ignác Darányi agricultural- industrial- and trade minister announced an application for the plans of the building. With the application named "We are in progress while we are compete" Ödön Lechner win the prject before 13 other competitors. In 1898 Sándor Hauszmann entrepreneur get the contract to build up the building. The construction was started at 9. februar 1898 and finished at 1. october 1899. The opening ceremony was in 7. may 1900, and I. József Ferenc visited the new building at 29. may.
The big figure of Hungarian architecture, Ödön Lechner was noticed at the end of the XIX. and the beggining of the XX. century. He just finished with the building of the Museum of Applied Arts. After a few years he planned the building so called "Blue church" in Bratislava (1907). Ödön Lechner wanted hungarian architecture, and he refered to the Asian roots of our nation, when he applies eastern motives. He changes the gray toned style to a new, colorful one. But he never became unstylish. He never defaulted against the material, and he never overacted the decoration. He liked the colours, and he was the master of the use of colour ceramics. Because his colourful style, Lechner - subsequently - can be comperable with Gaudi.
The exhibitions of the National Geological Museum shows the geologichal past of Hungary and the progress of the geological researches with a matchless collection of minereal- and rocktemplates. Moreover you can see the prehistoric animal footprints found in Ipolytarnóc.
National Geological Museum:
1143. Stefánia út 14. phone: +36 1 267-1427
Open: thursday, saturday and sunday 10-16.
tickets: adult - 150 Ft children: 100 Ft Children group: 50 Ft
Geological history of Hungary
The history of the Institute
Mineral resources of Hungary
The work and life of Ödön Lechner
The bauxite of the Earth
Footprints of Ipolytarnóc
Have a nice journey in the GEOpast.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum