Turku Cathedral is a landmark known by every Finn. It was built in 13th century in the middle of Turku. By that time, Turku was the major town in Finland.
The first Cathedral was smaller than the present building. Its east front was where the pulpit now stands, and its roof was considerably lower than now.
During the next centuries, the Cathedral was expanded. A major disaster took place in 1827 in the Great Fire of Turku when most of the town was destroyed, along with both the tower and the interior of the Cathedral. The present tower, constructed after the Great Fire, reaches a height of 101 metres above sea level, and is visible over a considerable distance as the symbol of both the Cathedral and the city.
The archbishop of Finland lives in Turku and thus Turku Cathedral is considered as the "main" church in Finland. The church is in active service, and it also hosts a museum and a cafe. It is possible to visit the cathedral everyday from 9am to 7pm. Every day at noon, Finnish Radio broadcasts the chiming of the Cathedral clock for all Finns.
The Cathedral can be visited free of charge. If one wants to visit the museum which is located inside the Cathedral, the fees are 2EUR/adult, 1EUR/children (7-17yrs), pensioners, students and disabled persons free. There is also a DomCafe which can be found on the right from the main entrance (summer only).