Gibbsboro's heritage dates back to the early 1700's, when the first
settlers built saw and gristmills on the many streams that flowed
through the heavily wooded forest. One of these mills, Ford's Mill,
located on Silver Lake was purchased by and Joseph Foster in 1852.
This event changed Gibbsboro from a cluster of mills, serving the
local farms, into an industrial company village.
Because of the town's pure water, John Lucas and Joseph Foster
founded the "Gibbsboro White Lead, Zinc and Color Works", a paint
factory on the shores of Silver Lake in 1852. The company, which
developed ready-mixed paint known for its shades of green,
essentially put Gibbsboro on the map.
By 1887, the prosperity of the Lucas paint works (which employed
300 men in 1886 and 700 men in 1909) was such that a spur rail line
was constructed from the main Camden to Atlantic Railroad line to
Gibbsboro to handle the volume of products and ensure the continued
success of the enterprise.
The paint works continued to be in operation until the early
1980's, at which time it was re-developed into an office-research
complex called appropriately "The Paint Works".
The cache is located near the old Paint Works Factory, located
around Lucas Lake. There are many different area to park near by.
The cache container is a small tupperware type container. Happy
Hunting!
|
|
Kid Friendly
Lunchtime Cache Available
year-round Restricted hours
Less than 500 ft. from
car to cache
No restrooms available
Accessible in
Winter
Beware of Muggles!
Bring a pen or
pencil |
|
|
|