MIDDLEPORT GARDENS Traditional Cache
-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (micro)
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
The Middleport Memorial Gardens are a popular spot for Wedding & Prom pictures. People from all over the area come to visit the gardens. Unusual that such a small town would have a large memorial display. The gardens are under the supervision of the Borough Council. Dalvet's used to be in charge when I was growing up. This is a good "on the way" cache, to sit and take a break and enjoy the view. Cache is a micro, bring your own pen/pencil..
***HISTORY OF MIDDLEPORT***
Adam Stahl is said to have been the first settler at Middle-
port. Members of his family were prominent landowners there for
many years. In 1821 Jacob Stahl sold the burying-ground to the
Lutheran and the Presbyterian congregations, which were repre-
sented in the transactions by John Settzer and Andrew D. Long.
In 1828 Jacob Huntzinger bought a tract of land, including
that portion of Middleport north of the Schuylkill Valley Rail-
road. Soon a man named Rausch became Huntzinger's partner. Prior
to 1830 the land was laid out in village lots, which were offered
for sale. The balance of the territory within the borough lim-
its, and lying south of the railroad, was included in the Da
Costa tract.
Jacob Huntzinger was the pioneer business man in the borough.
He opened a store there in the spring or summer of 1829. The
second store was that of Ferguson & Jones, established in the
later part of May, 1830. In March, 1830, there were only two
dwellings in the settlement. Evidence of the success of Mr.
Huntzinger's enterprise is apparent in the fact that June 1st
following the number of dwellings had increased to eight. One of
these was a tavern which had been opened about a year, and was
kept by George Kershner. A grist-mill, a saw-mill, and a black-
smith's shop were in operation. The railroad, and the state roads
from Pottsville to Mauch Chunk and from Orwigsburg north, passing
through the village, made it prominent on lines of local travel,
and the activity in the coal trade in the valley after the com-
pletions of the railroad brought with it a steady and healthy
growth to Middleport. In 1845 the population of the miners, and
mechanics, and there were then three stores and two taverns.
The first meeting of the borough council of Middleport was
held May 2nd, 1859. The first burgess was Charles Bensinger, and
Francis W. Bechtel was the first borough clerk. Joseph Eustace,
and John C. Feedtrappe were the first councilmen.
The succeeding burgesses have been Joseph Miller, George
Medlar, David B. Shafer, George Hinly, Thomas Jennings, William
Wall, William Herman, Richard Winlack, William Basler, and C.
Frank Horn, the present incumbent.
Additional Hints
(Decrypt)
thneqvat gur tneqraf
Treasures
You'll collect a digital Treasure from one of these collections when you find and log this geocache:

Loading Treasures