The community of Jelenec is proven to have existed as early as 1113. Since 1386 until 1848 it was owned by the Forgács family and ruled from the Gýmes Castle. The most important buildings are the Baroque mansion built in 1722, the Baroque style Roman Catholic Elevation of the Cross church and a chapel built in 1720, reconstructed in 1790 and expanded in 1950.
By a narrow road one comes to the parking at the camp ground. Then, the yellow marked hiking path leads to a small pond. The mildly rising road to the right leads to several rocks that offer a nice view of the Castle, the camp ground and Jelenec. Further northeast, following the red and blue marked path one comes to the ruins of Gýmeš or Jelenec Castle. The Castle stands upon the quartzite rock called Dún, at an altitude of 514 metres above sea level, surrounded by thick dorest. The perimeter walls, fortification and the buildings of the Castle itself are quite well preserved. The Castle was built sometime after 1250 and belonged to the Forgács family, one of the Kindgom´s wealthiest noble families since then until 1950, when the ruin was expropriated by the state. Despite strong fortification, the Castle was sacked twice by the Turks and once by the rebel army of Gabriel Bethlen in the 17th century. The Forgács have always reconstructed the Castle, until they finally abandoned it in 1885. There are interesting legends concerning the traditional procedure of welcoming guests to the Castle. The ritual consisted of the “shovel dance“, following by four blows and an inscription into the memorial guest book.