Traditional Geocache

O Ascensor da Bica / The Bica Funicular

A cache by rifkindsss Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 8/21/2005
In Lisboa, Portugal
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:




PT:Uma pequena visita a mais um monumento rolante.

EN:A little visit to a rolling m


Alguns conselhos:

  • A pedra de calçada é escorregadia! Cuidado!
  • Cuidado com os ascensores! Não se deixem atropelar!
  • A recepção de satélites é bastante precária, mas não há muito que enganar...

Some words of advice:

  • Beware of the sidewalks! They may be very slippery!
  • Watch out for the trams! Don't let yourselves be runned over!
  • Satellite coverage is rather bad, but there shouldn't be too much trouble...

Caches relacionadas / Related caches:


PT: O Ascensor da Bica

O relevo acidentado de Lisboa foi desde sempre um grave obstáculo à circulação de pessoas e bens entre partes altas e baixas da cidade. Nem mesmo os "Americanos" (carruagens movidas por tracção animal e deslocando-se sobre carris), surgidos nos finais do século XIX, conseguiram responder a este problema de um modo satisfatório.

Com o advento da tracção mecânica surge uma Empresa vocacionada para a sua resolução, a Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa.

Fundada em 6 de Junho de 1882 e remodelada dois anos mais tarde, tendo então adoptado o nome de Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa, dotou a cidade com um conjunto de ascensores funcionando em plano inclinado. O primeiro foi inaugurado em 1884 na Calçada do Lavra, seguindo-lhe o da Glória no ano seguinte.

Quando em 20 de Abril de 1888 a Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa assinou um novo contrato com a Câmara Municipal de Lisboa, obteve a concessão para a instalação de mais um ascensor que, partindo da Rua de S.Paulo pela Rua de Duarte Belo, deveria efectuar ligação com o Largo do Calhariz.

As obras foram iniciadas em 1890. Em Maio já a instalação da máquina motora estava concluída e em Novembro começava o assentamento das linhas.

Dificuldades de todos os géneros, nomeadamente a instalação do cano colector, abalroamentos e as próprias diferenças de declive, atrasaram a construção. Contudo, após sucessivos adiamentos realizaram-se em 27 de Junho de 1892 as experiências oficiais iniciando-se no dia seguinte o serviço de exploração.

O sistema de tracção era de cremalheira e cabo por contrapeso de água. Cada carro estava equipado com um reservatório de água que esvaziava sempre que chegava à Rua de S. Paulo e enchia quando no Largo do Calhariz, de modo que a simples diferença de peso fazia funcionar o sistema. Os carros eram abertos, com nove metros de comprimento e bancos dispostos "em plateia".

Os problemas levantados pelas frequentes faltas no abastecimento de água, obrigando à constante paragem de serviço, fizeram com que, em 1886, a Empresa decidisse substituir o sistema de tracção, passando então a utilizar máquinas a vapor. Estas fornecidas pela firma Maschinnenfabrick de Esslingen, Alemanha, asseguraram o serviço até ao momento em que foi decidida a electrificação do sistema.

Já desde 1903 a Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa, decerto estimulada pelo aparecimento dos eléctricos e pela sua rápida expansão, pedia a empresas estrangeiras orçamentos com vista à electrificação. Mas só em 1912, após a assinatura de um novo contrato com a Câmara Municipal de Lisboa autorizando a modificação, foi possível acordar com a Lisbon Electric Tramways Limited e a Companhia Carris a exploração conjunta da Central Eléctrica de Santos e assim resolver o problema do fornecimento de energia eléctrica indispensável.

O processo adoptado era extensivo aos ascensores do Lavra, Bica e Glória.

Em cada um funcionariam dois carros ligados por um cabo, de forma a contrabalançarem-se no seu peso.

A via compunha-se de dois carris exteriores em que assentavam os rodados dos carros e de outros dois, limitando uma fenda onde passava o cabo.

Cada carro era provido de um grampo que o ligava ao cabo e de um poderoso freio de garra que actuava apertando os carris centrais entre duas sapatas, uma pela parte inferior e outra pela superior. Para além desta existia ainda outro freio funcionando por pressão sobre os carris. Pesavam cerca de 10 toneladas e eram accionados por meio de 2 motores eléctricos, ligados em série, de forma que um carro só se podia pôr em movimento com a manobra conjunta dos guarda-freios de ambos, bastando contudo a manobra de um só para os imobilizar. Eram fechados, com dois bancos longitudinais e entrada pela plataforma de uma das extremidades.

Quando em 12 de Outubro de 1916, junto ao Largo do Calhariz, se ultimavam os trabalhos e se procedia ao assentamento de um dos carros sobre os carris, o mau funcionamento dos travões precipitou-o, após uma descida descontrolada, de encontro à Estação da Rua de S. Paulo, onde se despedaçou.

Em consequência deste acidente o ascensor da Bica permaneceu inactivo durante vários anos até que, em 1923, a Câmara de Lisboa exigiu que voltasse a funcionar.

O sistema que então foi adoptado diferia do anterior por terem sido suprimidos os motores dos carros, os quais passariam a ser accionados por um motor instalado num subterrâneo da Estação do Largo do Calhariz.

Os carros, de um novo modelo, foram fornecidos pela firma Theodore Bell. Eram constituídos por um leito e rodados de aço em que assentavam as caixas, abertas, construídas em madeira e reforçadas a ferro. Os bancos, eram transversais e divididos em três compartimentos, dispostos "em plateia", podendo transportar 16 passageiros sentados e 6 de pé na plataforma da retaguarda.

A 27 de Junho de 1927 o ascensor da Bica retomava o serviço. Já então passara a ser propriedade da Companhia Carris. Nos finais do ano anterior a Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa, após anos de negociações com a Câmara Municipal de Lisboa e a Carris dissolvera-se, tendo transferido para esta última não apenas a concessão de que era proprietária mas também todo o seu material fixo e circulante.

Acredita-se ter sido já na década de trinta que os carros sofreram algumas alterações assumindo então o seu aspecto actual.

Tal como as suas congéneres das Calçadas do Lavra e da Glória, o Ascensor da Bica é, desde Fevereiro de 2002, Monumento Nacional.

EN: The Bica Funicular

Lisbon’s steeply sloping terrain has always been a serious problem for the transport of people and goods between the high and the low-lying areas. At the end of the 19th century, the Company was using 'American-style' trams (using animals to draw the carriages which were on rails) but not even these could answer the problem satisfactorily.

. When mechanical traction became available, a company was set up to solve the problem - the Lisbon Mechanical Lift Company (Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa).

It was founded on 6 June 1882 and reorganised two years later, when it became the New Lisbon Mechanical Lift Company (Nova Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa) and provided the city with a series of funiculars working up and down the slopes. The first was officially opened in 1884 in the Calçada do Lavra. This was followed by the funicular on the Calçada da Glória.

When the new company signed a contract with the Lisbon municipality on 20 April 1888, it was awarded the right as concessionaire to install another funicular running from the Rua de S.Paulo up the Rua de Duarte Belo to connect with the Largo do Calhariz.

Work began in 1890. The engine housing was completed by May and track laying began in November.

Construction was slowed down by a variety of problems: the laying of the gutter, collisions and the very nature of the steeply-sloping terrain. In spite of all these factors and repeated delays, the official tests took place on 27 June, with the service open to the public the next day.

The traction system was by rack and cable, with water as the counter-weight. Each carriage was equipped with a water tank which was emptied each time it reached the Rua de S. Paulo and filled at the top, in the Largo do Calhariz. The difference in weight was enough to run the system. The carriages were open, nine metres long, with benches along the sides.

There were many problems with breakdowns in the water supply and this meant that the system was repeatedly out of order. As a result, the Company decided in 1886 to replace the system with a traction operation using steam power. The equipment was supplied by the German company Maschinnenfabrick, Esslingen and remained in service until the switch to electricity.

As early as 1903, the company, probably as a result of the appearance and rapid expansion of the trams, had asked foreign manufacturers for tenders for electrification of the system. Authorisation for the change, however, was only given in 1912, after a new contract had been signed with the City Council. Then an agreement was reached with Lisbon Electric Tramways Limited and Carris for the joint operation of the Santos substation. This solved the problem of electricity supply, fundamental for the service.

The new system was used in all three funiculars - Lavra, Bica and Glória.

There were two carriages linked by a cable and each acted as a counterweight to the other. The line consisted of two rails which took the wheels of the funicular and two other along the slot where the cable passed.

Each carriage had a clamp connecting it to the cable and a powerful brake which worked by gripping the central wheels between two brake pads, one at the bottom, the other at the top. There was also another brake which operated by pressure on the rails. The carriages weighed nearly 10 tons and were powered by two electric motors, working in tandem so that each one could only begin when both brake operators started off at the same time, but each had a separate operating mechanism which could stop both the funiculars. The carriages were closed in, there were seats along the sides and the entrance was at one end.

On 12 October 1916, the last work was being carried out near the Largo do Calhariz and one of the carriages was being placed on the rails when the brakes failed and the carriage hurtled out of control down the slope to the Station on the Rua de S. Paulo where it crashed, smashing into pieces.

As a result, the Bica funicular was out of service for a number of years until the City Council demanded that it should be brought back.

The system then adopted was different. The carriage motors were no longer used and power was supplied from an underground substation in the Largo do Calhariz.

There was a new look to the carriages, which were supplied by Theodore Bell. They consisted of a chassis and steel wheels on which the carriages sat. These were made of wood, reinforced with steel. The benches were crosswise and there were three compartments. 16 passengers seated and 6 standees on the rear platform could be transported.

On 27 June 1927, the Bica funicular was again operational. It then passed into the hands of Carris. At the end of the previous year, the original company was wound up, following protracted negotiations with the Lisbon City Council and Carris, which took over the concession and all the rolling stock and fixtures.

It was probably in the thirties that the carriages were modified and they have not changed since then. All three funiculars, Calçada do Lavra, Glória and Bica were declared to be national monuments in February 2002.



Would you like to know more about Geocaching in Portugal ?
Join the discussion group and visit Geocaching@PT

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[PT]Ireqr pyáffvpb, qbf nagvtbf!

[EN]Pynffvp terra, gur byq snfuvbarq jnl!

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

1,838 Logged Visits

Found it 1,612     Didn't find it 136     Write note 19     Temporarily Disable Listing 19     Enable Listing 19     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 11     Owner Maintenance 14     Update Coordinates 3     Post Reviewer Note 4     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 254 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 8/17/2017 8:34:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time (3:34 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum