Newcastle - Hanover Street
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Hanover Street is a steep hill which runs up from the riverside at the junction of The Close and Forth Banks to Hanover Square.
Note the smooth stones set in the road to allow the horses pulling carts up the hill an easier job. The wheels found less resistance than on the uneven cobbles. By 1844 the street was occupied by bonded warehouses. These were special repositories for materials and products on which Excise Duty was payable, but exempt for their stay in the warehouse. The principal wares stored were alcoholic spirits and tobacco products during their import - export cycle. These buildings, derelict from the 1970s, were mysteriously burnt down in February 1997.
Very near here at the end of the Town Walls, stood the Whitefriars Tower built by the Carmelites. A Roman fortification stood here in the days of Pons Aelius, because when the tower was pulled down in 1840, many Roman remains were found, including an altar to the god Sylvanus which is now housed in the Castle.
The area of Hanover Square is now occupied by a Casino.
At the viewpoint are two information boards. The cache is to the left ABOVE GROUND LEVEL.
Va gur vil arne gur gbc bs gur oevpx cbfg ng gur gbc bs gur fgnvef.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum