Skip to content

The Largest Stone Marker on the Oregon Trail Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Contryguy: Sorry but this cache has disappeared for the last time. Thanks to all that have visited

More
Hidden : 7/23/2006
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

A very short walk on level ground. Look for a small Lock n lock.

This momument is largely the result of efforts by Ezra Meeker, who came with his family across the Oregon Trail in 1852, and then dedicated his later years to getting citizens interested in marking the Oregon Trail as he felt that the young people at the turn of the century had no idea of the hardships suffered or where the trail went. He visited many of the communities located in Thayer County in 1910 by covered wagon and oxen and made a second trip to get the people interested in marking the trail.


This large red granite marker was erected and dedicated on May 23, 1915. A prairie Schooner drawn by a yoke of oxen and the latest model 1915 automobile were carved onto the stone by the Lennon Brothers of Hebron at a cost of $400. This marker was then placed on a large granite slab.


One of the biggest celebrations of the county was planned by Mrs. Erasmus M. Correll, the first regent of the Oregon Trail Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution in Hebron for the dedication of this monument. The Hebron Journal stated that a crowd between 7,000 and 10,000 was expected for this dedication, but it poured rain on that day. The Meridian Road, which is now Highway 81 was a dirt road and it was impossible for many to get there. The Hebron Journal estimated the crowd to be only 2000 made up of the Militia, the Hebron Academy Band, the Boy Scouts, 700 school children, pioneers and many others.


The Burlington freight brought six coaches from Deshler which were crowded to the limit and many passengers rode on top of the box cars. This train brought the Deshlerites nearly up to the monument, unloaded the passengers and then reversed back to Deshler to bring another train load.


The Daughters of the Revolution had tucked 5 pigeons under their jackets and released the "doves of peace" as the flag covering the monument was lifted. One dove, the same color as the monument lighted on the monument and stayed there throughout several speeches.


After this monument was erected, Ezra Meeker came in his automobile called "The Pathfinder", which was converted to look like a prairie schooner. He was said to be very proud of this monument as it was the most expensive erected as a result of his efforts. a large picture of this monument hangs in the Ezra Meeker Museum in Puyallup, Washington.>








Placed By A Nebraskache Member

Additional Hints (No hints available.)