Skip to content

Demius7 Microcache Series --> 3 Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

CacheShadow: Greetings from a Volunteer Reviewer,

*** > [red][b]Cache Listing Archived[/b][/red] < ***

The cache owner may contact a Reviewer to discuss the possibility of this cache listing being unarchived if:
- All outstanding issues have been addressed
- The current Listing Guidelines are met

CacheShadow - Volunteer Reviewer

You may contact CacheShadow by clicking here: http://www.geocaching.com/email/?guid=ad68eebc-c50f-4e05-ab60-1e8972fe2015
When communicating with a Reviewer, be sure to include the GC Code (GC?????) of the cache listing in question.
Groundspeak Listing Guidelines: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx
Groundspeak Help Centre: http://support.groundspeak.com

More
Hidden : 7/30/2006
Difficulty:
4 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


This is the third in the Demius7 microcaches hidden in the brockville area. Here is a bit of history.

Canada's First Railway Tunnel

Canada's first underground railway tunnel is one of Brockville's most unique historical monuments. The tunnel was constructed between 1854 - 1860 to export materials and facilitate trade to and from the area. Brockville's location along the St. Lawrence River made it an ideal area to move goods through, and resulted in rapid growth of the city during the 19th century. The tunnel stretches approximately 1700 ft underneath the city, including City Hall and stands 14 feet high by 14 fee wide.

After running nearly 100 years to the day, the tunnel could no longer handle the size of modern engines, and was shut down to steam locomotives. Smaller diesel trains continued to make the odd run for another ten years before the CPR officially closed it. In 1983, the City acquired the rights to the tunnel and began restoration. The area was landscaped, the masonry repaired and the massive oak doors replaced. In June of 1988 an 85-foot stretch of the tunnel was opened to the public. The big wooden doors of the tunnel are open during the daylight hours starting in the spring through to the fall season.

Have fun looking for this micro and enjoy the area. This micro is a magnetic key holder so please bring a pen because we could not fit one in this cache.

Please use caution when grabbing and hiding this cache, very popular area. (may be best to look in the evenings when not as many people around)

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Ybbx nebhaq "jurryl jurryl" jryy.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)