Everyone knows we cannot put food in a cache. For that reason, see below (in red) for what I would like you to include in your log. Geocaching no longer allows requirements like this, so this is simply a request.
Taste is one of the most basic of the senses. It is the direct detection of chemical composition, usually through contact with chemoreceptor cells. We all know our tongues have receptors for sweet, salt, sour, and bitter but did you know there is a taste called umami (meaty or savory)? There is also scientific evidence for a 6th basic taste: fat.
You have approx 5000 taste buds. A chicken has 24; a catfish has almost 300,000, some on the outside of their bodies!
- Main basic tastes:
- saltiness: sodium, salt
- sourness: lemon
- sweetness: sucrose, sugar
- bitterness: quinine
- savouriness(umami): MSG, parmesan and roquefort cheese, soy sauce, walnuts, grapes, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms..
- Fat: richness
- Other sensations the tongue can feel:
- Temperature: hot, cold
- Spiciness: chili pepper
- (false) coolness: spearmint, camphor
- Astringency: unripe persimmons, harsh wine, tart
- Tingly Numbness: sichuan pepper
When logging this cache, please
- find the cache, sign the log, and then
- In your online log, answer the following questions. Be as descriptive as you can.
- What is your favorite food?
- What does it taste like?
- Where do you get it?