University of Veszprém Traditional Cache
pupSino: No response from owner. If you wish to repair/replace the cache sometime in the future, just contact us (by email), and assuming it meets the current guidelines, we'll be happy to unarchive it.
happy caching
pupSino ~ geocaching.com admin
More
-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (regular)
Related Web Page
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
The coordinates of the recommended parking place: N 47° 5,4230' E 17° 54,5230' [GCVEIN+parkoló]
I am inviting you to the heart of the university town to take a stroll in the Erzsébet grove. There are several interesting things to see on the promenade on the way to the box:
Erzsébet sétány ( Elisabeth Grove) is situated next to the former Felsoörsi street leading to the downtown along the Ördögárok ( Devil's ditch) used to be a permanent current, the part of the current in the town has been arched over flowing under the promenade towards the Színházkert ( Theatre Garden)
The Püspökkert(Bishop's garden) (today Színházkert Theatre garden) N 47° 5,5000' E 17° 54,4000' [GCVEIN+szinhk] (See. point1 on map ) was designed by Bishop Padányi Bíró Márton in the middle of the XVIII. Century. The nothern borders of the garden were made in 1907, as the Óvári Ferenc út was constructed, the garden was sorrounded by a characteristic fence made of brick, the main part of the fence was pulled down during the constuction of the university. Originally it used to be the vegetable garden of the episcopacy. Nowadays mainly the buildings of the university can be found on the site.
A Koma-kút ( Koma well) N 47° 5,4000' E 17° 54,4000' [GCVEIN+komak] (see point 2 on the map) used to be a source abounding in water's remembered as a smithery and a little inn in the 1800s. The well had been funtioning as a resting and drinking place for passengers and horses for centuries.
A Kálvária domb( Calvary Hill) N 47° 5,4100' E 17° 54,4500' [GCVEIN+kalvad] (see point 3. on the map) A church stood at the top of the calvary hill with a graveyard that were used till the end of the XVI.century. In the XVIII: century only the ruins remained, a Calvary was built after that the hill was named. Some of the meanwhile demaged sculptures still can be seen at the Szent László templom (Church) . The main historical traffic roads- starting from the centre of the city were divided in front of the Calvary Hill , Kálvária-domb
Megyeháza (County Hall) N 47° 5,5000' E 17° 54,5000' [GCVEIN+megyeh] (see point 6. on the map) in eclectic style built in 1885-1887,the strongly built hall shows the function in the hierarchy of public administration, with its beauty and art, reminding us of the past.
Going along the Megyeháza tér ( County Hall Square) stands the Bakonyi Múzeum N 47° 5,4600' E 17° 54,5000' [GCVEIN+muzeum] (see point 4 on the map) the building is decorated with red sandstone.The culture palace museum and library was designed by Medgyasszay István. The architect created something very unique with the ferro-concrete construction , the front is decorated with the motives of folklore art. The museum saves numismatic collections , significant pieces of fine arts. Very rich folklore, momumental archeological, and local history collections, fotodocumentation.
A Bakonyi Ház N 47° 5,4300' E 17° 54,5400' [GCVEIN+baknyh] (see point ont he map). térkép 5. pont) reed thatched house with an arched veranda, fundament made of concrete built in 1935 according to the plans of a house that can be found in a small village called Öcs in Veszprém County. Some years after opening the first open air folklore museum in Balassagyarmat this was the second one in the country.
Ont he right side of the promenade the buildings of the University of Chemistry (later University of Veszprém) recent name Pannon Egyetem N 47° 5,3300' E 17° 54,4800' [GCVEIN+vein] can be seen . The University of Chemistry was created after the second world war. During the reconsruction chemical industry played a very important role. Good qualificated experts were desperately needed . According to the great need of trading places The mechanical University of Budapest decided to establish a new faculty of hard chemistry. The goverment decided that the faculty can operate in Veszprém.
It is worth taking a look at the building, because the unified buildings of the university reflect the changes of styles in architecture and the developing of the construction industry in the last 30 years.
Going along the Erzsébet Promenade we can see the propotioned buildings of the county hospital on the left side. We can take a stroll on the upper path to the hills, till we can get to the Alsóvárosi cemetery. On the right side in the outer Püspökkert ( Bishop's garden stood the building of the pediatric Unit of the County Hospital built by the plans of Ybl Miklós in late eclectic style's originally planned as an orphanage.
Additional Hints
(No hints available.)
Treasures
You'll collect a digital Treasure from one of these collections when you find and log this geocache:

Loading Treasures