Skip to content

Royal Deeside Railway Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

Westhill_Wanderer: New cache didn't last long so am archiving. Might try another location as it is a good area for a cache

More
Hidden : 10/11/2006
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

A short walk along a restored section of the Royal Deeside Railway

The prospectus for the “Deeside Railway” was issued in 1845. The original plan was to build a single track railway from Aberdeen to Banchory following the north side of the River Dee. However the plan was so well received that it was decided to extend the line from Banchory through Kincardine O'Neill to Aboyne, almost 30 miles from Aberdeen.

Whilst initially authorised on 16 July 1846, the Deeside Railway was delayed by the construction of the Aberdeen Railway from Forfar, and so had to be re-authorised on 28 May 1852. The line opened to traffic on 7th Setember 1853, with extensions to Aboyne (via Torphins, not Kincardine O'Neill as originally planned) in 1857 and Ballater on 17 October 1866 being built by the Aboyne and Braemar Railway Company.

In 1876, the existing railway companies became part of the Great North of Scotland Railway. This in turn became part of the L.N.E.R (London & North Eastern Railway) in 1923, then part of British Railways in 1948. For many years, the Deeside Railway carried members of the Royal Family and other visiting dignitaries (including the Russian Tsar) en route to Balmoral Castle. Whilst plans had existed to run the railway past Balmoral to Braemar, these were blocked by Queen Victoria who bought the land first, feeling that it would otherwise disturb her privacy there. However in 1963, the line was included in the Beeching Report as a loss-making railway, and despite local opposition, the decision was made to close the line. The last journey of Queen Elizabeth from Ballater took place on 15th October 1965 and the line closed to all passengers on 28th February 1966. Goods traffic to Culter Mills continued until 30th December 1966 when the Class B1 Steam Locomotive No. 61180 became the last steam train to run on the Deeside Railway. By 1972, all the track had been lifted and the area had lost one of its most scenic and picturesque lines.

From 1972 the route of the railway began to be reclaimed by nature, although much of the former trackbed, station buildings and bridges remain clearly visible. More dramatic changes took place at Banchory where the station was demolished for housing and at the Blarnacrag (or Beltie) Viaduct between Torphins & Lumphanan which was completely dismantled. In recent years the track-bed between Holburn Street & Culter was surfaced as a cycle & walking route and a bridge reinstated across Holburn Street to complete a 6 mile route from Duthie Park, out through Pitfodels, Cults and Bieldside to Culter. There are many access points along this route though the suburbs.

In 1996, the Royal Deeside Railway Preservation Society was formed by local railway enthusiasts. Their initial plan was to use part of the old Aberdeen Ferryhill Engine Shed as a workshop and museum although subsequently in 2000 they submitted plans to reinstate the railway between Banchory and Milton of Crathes. Approval for much of this scheme was obtained in June 2003 and work has begun to relay the track. They also have a number of historic pieces of rolling stock under their care including various vintage Victorian coaches and the battery railcar which ran on the line in the 1950’s.

The cache is situated close to Milton of Crathes just to the south of the A93 Aberdeen to Banchory Road. This collection of farm steadings boasts a number of attractions including a restaurant, art gallery and studio in addition to the Royal Deeside Railway Preservation Society’s Visitor Centre. There is car-parking (and a helipad!) available.

Royal Deeside Railway (visit link)
Milton of Crathes (visit link)

The cache is reached by walking along the path to the south of the relaid track and trackbed. You do NOT need to go on to the railway.

Cache is a small plastic box slightly bigger than a 35mm film canister. Please take your own pen / pencil

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Pbagbegrq gerr orgjrra sbbgcngu naq byq genpxorq

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)