Last updated: May 14, 2013
- GEOCACHING.COM website and mobile applications;
- SHOP.GEOCACHING.COM website;
- WAYMARKING.COM website;
- WHERIGO.COM website and mobile application;
- GROUNDSPEAK.COM, including discussion forums
- BLOG.GEOCACHING.COM website; and
- MYGEOCACHINGPROFILE.COM website.
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
A. Information You Give Us. We receive and store any information you give us when interacting with our services or in any other way, including through Geocaching API-enabled third party applications or services. For example:
- Name and email address when registering for an account with us
- Name, billing address, shipping address, phone number, email address and credit card
information for purchase of Premium membership and purchases from Shop Geocaching
- Profile information such as your home location, your profile photo, your occupation, your address,
any photo uploads, etc.
- Any information required by contest or sweepstakes entries or other promotions.
- Information and content you provide through the discussion forums, your geocache and trackable
logs or by email to us.
- Email address when you sign up to receive our newsletter or other communications from us.
- Email addresses of people you know when you participate in a referral program.
- Information you provide in an application and resume when applying for a job with us.
- Any information you choose to share with us as part of surveys you do for us (or a third party acting
on our behalf)
B. Information Collected Automatically. When you use our services, we automatically receive and record information from your browser or mobile device, including:
- Your location
- The unique identifier for your mobile device
- Your IP address
- Time and date of access
- If you're accessing our services through one of our API partners, the name of the application you're using
- The user ID we've assigned to the account through which you are accessing our services
- Whether you are a Premium or Basic member
- The latitude and longitude of any location-based search you perform
- Files/listings accessed
- Version of our application that you're using
- Cookie information
- The page you requested
2. HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Groundspeak will use your personal information collected in connection with our services, which may include your name, e-mail address, or other information unique to you:
- For the purpose for which you gave it to us, such as account registration, Premium membership or Shop Geocaching purchases
- For our own internal business purposes, such as analyzing the use of our services via Google Analytics and Quantcast, market research, and website and mobile application optimization.
- To communicate with you about new products and services, to share information with you about our existing products and services, such as through our Geocaching and Shop Geocaching newsletters and other emails and to keep you informed of developments in geocaching and location-based entertainment-related activities.
- To verify your identity.
- To provide customer service and review issues with your account or your use of our services.
- To allow you to share your experiences using our services with others.
- To authorize payment, whether through secure third party credit card processing gateways or through other payment methods.
- To improve our products and services.
- To customize the content available through our services.
- To allow you to login, share information or "like" us through a social network site account, such as Facebook and Twitter.
- To create a convenient and easy-to-use shopping process on Shop.Geocaching.com that includes an online shopping cart.
3. WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Except as provided below, we do not share or sell information that identifies our users personally or makes it possible for other parties to contact them directly. We share your personal information as follows:
- Other Users. We may disclose personal information to other people who use our services if you choose to include personal information, such as your email address, photo or other details, in your public profile. Your username and location and any other information or content you post publicly will be shared with others when you use the public features of our services, such as logging a geocache or participating in the discussion forums.
- Third Party Service Providers. From time to time, we employ other companies and individuals to perform specialized functions on our behalf, such as secure credit card processing and email service providers. They may have access to personal information needed to perform these functions but will be prohibited from using it for other purposes.
- Protection of Us and Others. We may disclose personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) comply with the law or comply with legal process served on Groundspeak; or (b) protect and defend our rights or property, our services, users or the public.
4. HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Groundspeak has implemented many security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of your personal information. We protect your account information through the use of a password. To protect the confidentiality of your information you MUST keep your password confidential and not disclose it to any other person. We also work to protect the security of your credit card information during transmission through the use of third party payment processors using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts the information you input. However, keep in mind that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
5. WHAT CHOICES DO I HAVE?
- You can always choose not to provide information, even though it may be needed to use our services.
- You can add or update certain information by signing in to your account and accessing your profile/account details.
- If you do not want to receive our newsletter or marketing communications from us, you can click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of the email you receive. This will not affect our ability to send you communications regarding your account.
- If you do not want to receive emails from us about specific geocaches or Trackables, you can change your preferences by logging into your account and removing these geocaches and/or Trackables from your Watchlist or bookmarks. Please note that you cannot disable notifications related to geocaches or Trackables owned by you.
- If you have granted us access to your Facebook or Twitter account by linking, you can disconnect the link by logging into your account, accessing your profile and clicking the Facebook or Twitter icon to disconnect.
We gather date, time, certain information about a user's browser and system or device configuration and capabilities, navigation history and IP address for all visitors to our websites. We use this information for our system administration and security and to gather general information about our audiences and their geographic locations.
A. Our cookies. We place cookies that identify you, or allow third parties to do so on our behalf, for the following purposes:
- to recognize you automatically when you return to our websites and mobile applications and to customize certain features and functions;
- to understand your interests in content, both our own content and that of other companies, on or across our websites and mobile applications;
- to make an automated record of your activities on our websites and mobile applications; and
- to manage, track and follow up on email campaigns.
We use Quantcast and Google Analytics cookies to track how groups or categories of users interact with our services.
You may use the tools in your browser to decline, disable, or delete any cookies. You will still be able to log on as a member if you decline or delete our persistent cookie that enables automatic recognition, but many important features of our websites will not be available, e.g. you will not be able to log a geocache if persistent cookies have been disabled. If you disable the session cookie for our websites, you may remain on the site but you will not be able to use Shop Geocaching and access certain other content.
7. HOW CAN YOU CHANGE OR DELETE THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE HAVE?
Through the "Your Profile" tab on Geocaching.com, you can access "Account Details" to change or delete information yourself. If you need help or have questions about changing or deleting the information we have collected, please email us or write to us at Groundspeak, Inc., Attn: Corporate Counsel, 837 N. 34th Street, Suite 300, Seattle WA 98103. For specific requests to remove or change your profile information on Shop Geocaching (shop.geocaching.com), please email Shop Geocaching directly.
8. WHAT CAN I DO IF MY CHILD HAS PROVIDED PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Our services are not intended for use by children, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If we learn that personal information of someone less than 13-years-of-age has been collected through our services, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your minor child has obtained an account without your consent, then you may alert us via email and request that we delete that child's personal information.
9. WHAT IF I DO NOT LIVE IN THE U.S.?
If you use our services outside of the United States, you understand and consent to the transfer of your personal information to, and the collection, processing and storage of your personal information in the United States. The laws on holding personal information in the United States may vary and be less stringent than laws of your state or country.
11. THIRD PARTY LINKS