Skip to Content

This cache is temporarily unavailable.

Dr. Berndie: Lets check...
pls stay tuned!

Dr. Berndie

More
<

Das Gartenpalais / The Garden Palace

A cache by Dr. Berndie & m.o.n.i Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 1/14/2007
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Dieser Cache ist den Palais in der Josefstadt gewidmet. Die Weglänge beträgt ca. 1,7 km. Für diesen Cache bietet sich die Verwendung von öffentlichen Verkehrsmitteln an. Der Ausgangspunkt ist mit den Linien U2 oder 46 gut zu erreichen. Autofahrer sollten bei Verwendung des Cachemobils die Kurzparkzonenregelung im ersten bzw. achten Bezirk beachten. Der Cache ist nur bei Tageslicht zugänglich. Da die Box wiedeholt verschwunden ist, jetzt gegen einen magnetischen NANO getauscht.

This cache is dedicated to the Josefstadt and its palaces. The distance covered is app. 1,7 km / 1,1 miles. It is recommended to use public transportation. The starting point can be reached by the underground U2 or tram 46. If you use a car you should be aware of the short-term parking zones system in the first and eight district. The cache is available only during daylight. As the box was muggled several times, it was replaced by a magnetic NANO container

Stage 1: N 48° 12,450 E 016° 21,310

DasPalais Auersperg steht zum Teil auf dem Gelände des ehemaligen Gutshofes Rottenhof. Die Gemeinde Wien hatte 1700 den Rottenhof von Hippolito Marchese Malaspina gekauft und 1708 an Karl Freiherr von Weltz weiterverkauft. Der Baubeginn des Palais lässt sich heute nicht genau bestimmen. Wahrscheinlich ließ Weltz erste Arbeiten vornehmen. 1721 kaufte der Italiener Girolamo Capece Marchese di Rofrano das Palais und ließ es nach Plänen der Barockarchitekten Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach und Lukas von Hildebrandt umgestalten.
Es wurden ein großer Garten, eine Orangerie und eine Winterreitschule (die 1917 abbrannte) entlang der Trautsongasse angelegt. Girolamo Rofrano starb 1724 kurz vor der Fertigstellung. 1732 erwarb die Familie Kinsky das Palais, 1781 Fürst Adam von Auersperg, der das Palais weiter ausgebauen ließ. Die Räume wurden prachtvoll ausgestaltet und Teil des höfischen Lebens in Wien. 1781 leitete Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart hier persönlich die Uraufführung seiner Oper „Idomeneo“.
Im Garten wurde eine Art Rotunde, auch Flora-Tempel genannt, mit einem Durchgang zur Lange Gasse errichtet. Sie bot Platz für 300 Menschen und wurde für Veranstaltungen genutzt. Der Barockgarten wurde im 19. Jhdt. im englischen Stil umgestaltet.
An der Lerchenfelderstraße befand sich ein Ballspielhaus. Dieses wurde 1945 durch einen Bombenangriff zerstört. An seiner Stelle befindet sich heute ein Amtshaus der Stadt Wien. Erwähnenswert ist auch, dass die österreichische Widerstandsgruppe O5 ihren Sitz im Palais Auersperg hatte.
Das Palais ist heute in privater Hand und wird vor allem für Veranstaltungen und Konzerte genutzt.

The Auersperg Palacewas built and designed in the early 1700s by the famous baroque architects Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach und Lukas von Hildebrandt in order of the Italian owner Girolamo Capece Marchese di Rofrano. Along the Trautsongasse a large garden, an orangery and a winter riding school (burnt down in 1917) were erected. After the death of Girolamo Rofrano the Kinski family bought the palace in 1732 and sold it it 1781 to Prince Adam von Auersperg, who initiated further rebuilding. The gorgeous rooms became part of the courtly life in Vienna. In 1781 it was the venue of the debut performance of the opera “Idomeneo”, conducted by W.A. Mozart himself.
In the garden a rotunda, called “Flora-Temple” was built with an alley to Lange Gasse. It was used for events with up to 300 people. The baroque garden was re-fashioned in the English-style in the 19th century.
A house for ballgames along Lerchenfelder Straße was destroyed by a bombing in 1945. Today there is a government building of the City of
Vienna. In 1945 Austrian patriots - The Austrian Resistance Movement - gathered in this building. They prevented the destruction of Vienna and laid the cornerstone for a free Austria.
Today the palace is privately owned and especially used for events and concerts.

Wieviele eiserne Löwenköpfe sind hier zu finden? (A)
Auf einer Gedenktafel wird eine Jahreszahl genannt. Wie lautet die Quersumme?
(B)

How many iron lion heads can be found here? (A)
A date is mentioned on a memorial tablet. What is the cross foot?
(B)

Stage 2: N 48° 12,585 E 016° 20,875

1702 ließ Maria Katharina Gräfin Strozzi auf dem Gelände Josefstädter Straße 39 ein kleines, einstöckiges Palais errichten. An das Palais Strozzi schloss ein Garten an, der bis zur Pfeilgasse reichte. Die Innenräume, vor allem der zweigeschossige Festsaal, waren mit Stuck und Fresken verziert.
1753 schenkte Kaiserin Maria Theresia das Schlössel Johann Karl Graf Chotek, der einen neuen Seitenflügel errichten ließ.
1841 übersiedelte das k. k. Zivilmädchenpensionat in das Palais. Wegen der großen Beliebtheit dieser Schule wurde 1877/78 der Trakt an der Josefstädter Straße erbaut. 1919 wurde das Zivilmädchenpensionat in den dritten Bezirk verlegt.
Bei der Sanierung des Gebäudes im Jahr 1996 wurden in der Sala terrena des Mittelvestibüls weitere Malereien gefunden. Diese Deckengemälde sind eine der letzten Beispiele der Grottenmalerei in Wien. Heute ist das Finanzamt für den 8., 16. u. 17.
Bezirk im Palais untergebracht.

In 1702 a small one-storied palace was erected by order of Maria Katharina countess Strozzi. The garden surrounding the Strozzi Palace reached until Pfeilgasse. The rooms, especially the two-storied ballroom, were decorated by frescoes.
In 1753 the palace was given to Johann Karl count Chotek by Empress Maria Theresia. He let build a new side wing.
In 1841 the k.k. civil finishing school moved into the palace. The school was very popular and expanded by building the wing along the Josefstädter Straße. In 1919 the school moved to the third district.
The palace was renovated in 1996 and houses the fiscal authorities of the 8th, 16 th and 17 th district today.

Wieviele Beleuchtungskörper sind an der Fassade angebracht? (C)
Rechts neben dem Einfahrtstor ist ein Schild angebracht. Welche Buchstabenanzahl hat das letzte Wort darauf?
(D)

How many lamps are attached to the facade? (C)
On the right side of the entrance gate there is a sign. How many letters has the last word on it?
(D)

Stage 3: N 48° 12,685 E 016° 21,095

Das Palais Damian hat eine lange und abwechslungsreiche Geschichte. Diese ist durch zahlreiche Besitzerwechsel und Umbauten gekennzeichnet. 1700 kaufte der Verwaltungsbeamte Karl von Damian die Liegenschaft Lange Gasse 53. Darauf ließ er ein kleines Palais - den Mittelteil des heutigen Gebäudes - mit offenen Arkaden sowie einem Flachdach errichten. Der Garten wurde ebenfalls neu angelegt. In der Folge wechselte das Palais mehrmals den Besitzer. 1774 kaufte es der gebürtige Grieche Daniel von Zepharovich. Zepharovich beauftragte Liborius Thaddäus Gerl 1774 mit einem Umbau. Es wurde ein zusätzliches Stockwerk aufgesetzt, Seitenflügel angebaut und die Arkaden geschlossen. Das gesamte Areal wurde mit einer Mauer umfasst.
Von 1865 bis 1866 befand sich eine Heilanstalt im Palais. 1931 betrieb Helene Einöhrl eine Gastwirtschaft im Parterre. Seit 1936 ist das Palais im Eigentum der Gemeinde Wien. Während des Zweiten Weltkriegs waren die Sängerknaben hier untergebracht, wofür wieder Umbauten vorgenommen werden mussten.
Heute ist das Palais Damian Sitz der Kriegsopferfürsorge.

The Damian Palacehas a long and changeful history, characterized by numerous changes of owners and rebuilding. In 1700 a civil servant for administration – Karl von Damian – bought the real estate Lange Gasse 53 and let build a small palace there, the middle-part of today’s building. It was surrounded by a garden. After some changes in ownership an additional floor and wings were built as well as a wall encircling the whole area.
To name two highlights, in 1865/66 a medical institution and in 1931 a pub was located there. Since 1936 the city of
Vienna owns the palace. During world war two the Vienna Boys Choir was located there which lead again to rebuilding. Today the welfare for war victims is located at the Damian Palace.

Wieviele Fahnenstangenhalter befinden sich auf der Fassade? (F)
Das Hauptgittertor wird von zwei Elementen verziert, die selten auf Toren zu finden sind. Sind das (G)
- Kometen (2)
- Mascherl (3)
- Sonnen (4)
- Geweihe (5)
Wieviele lanzettartige Spitzen sind auf den Gittertoren zu finden? (H)

How many flagpoles are attached to the facade? (F)
The main iron gate is decorated with two elements which are rarely seen on gates. Are these (G)
- comets (2)
- loops (3)
- suns (4)
- antlers (5)
How many fleam-formed tops are to be found along the iron gates? (H)

Stage 4: N 48° 12,800 E 016° 21,040

1706 kaufte Friedrich Karl Graf Schönborn das Gebiet zwischen Laudongasse 15-19 und Florianigasse 22-24. Zwischen 1706 und 1711 ließ er das dort bestehende Lusthaus nach Plänen von Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt zu einem prachtvollen Palais ausbauen. Die Fassade des Palais Schönborn wird von einem Portalrisaliten dominiert und ist durch große Pilaster unterteilt. Sie geht ebenso wie der Treppenhausrisalit und die Gartenanlage auf Hildebrandt zurück. Der Garten hatte einen quer-ovalen Umriss und war mit Plastiken und einem Grottenpavillon geschmückt. Den Abschluss des Gartens bildete eine Arkadenwand. Die größte Attraktion des Gartens war das "Komödienparterre", wo Theaterstücke aufgeführt wurden. Um den Garten bewässern zu können, wurde zusätzlich zur kaiserlichen Wasserleitung Wasser aus Ottakring in den Garten geleitet.
Der klassizistische Giebel der Fassade wurde erst später hinzugefügt. Er stammt wahrscheinlich aus einem Umbau durch Isidor Carnevale um 1760. Von anderen Wiener Gartenpalais unterscheidet sich das Palais Schönborn durch seine geringe Größe und den niedrigen Baukörper. Auch Fassadengestaltung und Geschoßverteilung sind anders ausgeführt.
Bereits 1862 wurde die Gemeinde Wien Eigentümerin des Palais. Von 1872 bis 1897 befand sich die Hochschule für Bodenkultur im Palais, von 1897 bis 1917 das Oberlandesgericht. Heute ist das Österreichische Museum für Volkskunde im Palais Schönborn untergebracht.

In 1706 Friedrich Karl count Schoenborn bought the area between Laudongasse 15-19 und Florianigasse 22-24. Between 1706 and 1711 the existing villa was upgraded to a gorgeous palace by the famous architect Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt. It was surrounded by an oval garden decorated with many sculptures and pavilions. The biggest attraction was a “comedy-floor” where theatre plays were performed. Even a special conduit was built to be able to water the garden.
The pediment was added during rebuilding around 1760 by Isidor Carnevale. The Schoenborn palace differs form the other garden palaces in its rather small size and low height.
Since 1862 the City of
Vienna owns the palace. Residents have been the university of agriculture (1872-1897), the appellate court and today the Austrian Museumfor Folklore.

Wieviele steinerne Damen räkeln sich am Dachgiebel? (I)
Nahe dem Eingang des Palais befindet sich ein Schild mit einer dreistelligen Zahl.
Wie lautet die Quersumme? (J)

How many ladies of stone are lolling on the pediment? (I)
Near the entrance of the palace there is a sign with a three-digit-figure. What is the cross foot? (J)

Stage 5: N 48° 12,xxx E 016° 21,yyy

Damit ist der Cache - ein grüner Micro - zu finden:
To find the cache - a green micro - you have to find out xxx and yyy:

xxx = (A*B*F*I+H+J)*C-I*G
yyy = D-G+H-J*F

Bitte Stift mitbringen!
Please bring your own pen!

Viel Spaß mit unserem Erstlings-Cache!
Have fun with our first cache!


v. 1.01 / 02/02/07
Frage für die Variable D genauer ausformuliert.
A more precise definition for the variable D given.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[DE:] anab, zntargvfpu, avpug nz Mnha.
[EN:] anab, zntargvp, vtaber gur srapr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

456 Logged Visits

Found it 412     Didn't find it 17     Write note 4     Temporarily Disable Listing 8     Enable Listing 7     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 4     Owner Maintenance 3     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 22 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.