How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
At the corner of Kirk and Albion Roads in Jollimore, on the site of the municipal playground, stood Old Cunard School. The first building on this site opened in 1867 as a Church of England school, built on a one-acre lot owned by William Cunard who helped support the school. The building also served as the mission church of St. Augustine, operated by the parish of St. Luke's in Halifax. By 1893 it became too dilapidated to use and was torn down. In 1902 another building was erected on the site and in 1906 the school trustees purchased the property for $800 from the heirs of William Cunard. When the school was destroyed by fire in 1915, a new two-room school was built on the same site. In 1937 a room was added to the upper level in order to add a grade X class and to accommodate primary to grade II who, due to overcrowding, attended a makeshift school in a house owned by Mr. Sam Jollimore on the shore. Grade X was also added that year. In 1943 one more classroom, an ARP room and a furnace room were added in the basement. On January 8, 1947 this building was also destroyed by fire. Remnants of the foundation may still be seen beyond the playground. In addition to it being the old school grounds, it was well used by local softball teams for many years during the 1930s and 1940s. The North West Arm League, consisting of Senior and Junior teams from Purcell's Cove, Melville Cove, Kline Heights and Spryfield, played against Jollimore men and women teams on that field, and of course, growing up in Jollimore, as kids we met there every Saturday morning for a game of unorganized Scrub (softball).( Iris Shea,Mainland South Historical Society)
Please park along the fence beside the playground? This will work much better for everyone. there's lots of room there, and it's easier to turn the car around afterward from there.
Please enter the playground to begin looking for the cache (as opposed to having people come down the road and squeeze by cars).
"bar unys oevpx fubeg bs n ybnq!"
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum