While travelling the Illinois Prairie Path, make this STOP and wonder how an electric railroad line touched the lives of commuters before 1957!
This is a view of the Lakewood Station of the Chicago, Aurora, & Elgin Railroad circa 1950. Remnants of the asphalt parking lot remain on the west side of the path. And several of the wooden fence posts remain on the right. The view is looking NW toward Rte. 59. Less than a 1/10th of a mile in that direction, the two concrete pedestals to the signals in this picture also remain.
Photo Credit and further History at GreatThirdRail.org