We have Motorway Mayhem. We have A-Road Anarchy (cos there aren’t many Motorways in Wales!). But what about public transport users? SideTracked Caches are intended to provide quick Cache-and-dashes at Train Stations.
It is hoped this idea will spread across the country in the same way as the MMs….but if hiding one PLEASE BE SENSIBLE and remember that in this day and age, public transport is under greater scrutiny than ever before, so, although these caches should be quick and easy grabs, PLEASE don’t place a Cache where it could cause alarm!!!
For more information on SideTracked Caches, please visit SideTracked
Really Sidetracked: Kingskerswell
The cache is a small micro hidden in a crevice under some small stones on top of the wall overlooking the still used railway line - the line is the mainline between Paddington and Paignton. A micro cache & dash at a Railway Station...or at least, it would have been before 43 years ago.
As early as 1849, the residents of Kingskerswell were petitioning the South Devon Railway Company to stop trains at their village; they would even be prepared to pay for the station themselves. It was not until 1 July 1853 that a station was eventually provided.
The branch had only a single track, but a passing place was provided at Kingskerswell in 1861 to allow more traffic to be handled. On 19 November 1864 a goods train passed through the station without stopping and collided with a passenger train approaching from Torre, but luckily there were no serious injuries. Another accident occurred on 22 January 1874 when a passenger train going towards Newton Abbot was derailed in the station.
A second track was laid to Newton Abbot and brought into use on 22 May 1876 along with a second platform at Kingskerswell; the double line was extended to Torquay on 26 March 1882.
The station is situated in a cutting beneath a viaduct carrying a road across the line. The station building was at road level on the west side, with the booking office at first floor level; access to the other platform was by steps from the viaduct. A signal box was situated at the south end of the northbound platform, with a goods siding beyond. The platforms were extended to 600 feet (183 metres) in 1911 to allow longer trains to call.
The station closed on 5 October 1964 but the platforms are still clearly visible from passing trains.
No room for anything but the geocaching note and logsheet. Please bring your own pen.