Skip to content

Myrtilis - Mirtolah - Mértola Traditional Geocache

This cache has been archived.

ajsa: Tudo aponta para o desaparecimento do contentor.
Como não faço intenções de voltar a investir no local fica o mesmo disponível para novos projectos de outros geocachers.

Até sempre.

More
Hidden : 03/03/2008
Difficulty:
5 out of 5
Terrain:
3 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Myrtilis - Mirtolah - Mértola
           
         Na confluência do Guadiana com a Ribeira de Oeiras, esta Vila Museu está localizada sobre um promontório rochoso onde já os mais antigos geógrafos a referiam como uma fortificação imponente. Esta simpática localidade, muito embora quase a 70 km do atlântico, foi outrora um importante entreposto comercial dos Romanos, Fenícios e Cartagineses; enquanto local de comércio foi também palco para troca de notícias e influências de outros mundos e culturas.

         Com a chegada dos romanos, a povoação foi baptizada de Myrtilis tornando-se numa das quatro municipia da Lusitânia ligando-se a Baesuris (Castro Marim) e Pax Julia (Beja) por uma importante estrada. Mais tarde, cerca de 400 d. C. chegam os Visigodos e a região integra-se no Reino de Toledo. No ano de 712 começa um longo período de prosperidade com a sua ascensão a capital de um reino Taifa – é a Mirtolah muçulmana com um fantástico desenvolvimento cultural e artístico.

         Em 1238, D. Sancho II reconquista a localidade e durante o século XV e princípios do século XVI ainda foi um importante porto de abastecimento de cereais. Após esta altura, e com a concorrência dos portos marítimos, Mértola entrou num longo período de letargia até aos nosso dias altura em que, só as pessoas que vieram de fora e escolherem está fantástica localidade para viver, criaram algum dinamismo e prosperidade.

             In the Guadiana confluence with Oeiras River, these Town Museum is located on a rocky promontory witch the oldest Geographers refer it as an imposing fortress. This nice town, although the almost 70 km from the Atlantic, has been an important commercial warehouse of Romans, Phoenicians and Carthaginians; as commerce site it was also the staged for exchange of news and influences from other worlds and cultures.

         With the arrival of the Romans, the village was baptized of Myrtilis becoming one of the four “Lusitania municipia” linking itself to Baesuris (Castro Marim) and Pax Julia (Beja) by a major road. Later, about 400 d. C. with the arrival of Visigoths the region has been in the Toledo Kingdom. At the year 712, it begins a long period of rising prosperity with its ascension at capital of a Taifa kingdom – is the Muslim Mirtolah with a great cultural and artistic development.

         In 1238, D. Sancho II recaptured the town and during the XV century and the century XVI was still an important port for cereals supply. After this time, and with the competition from the sea port, Mértola entered into a long period of lethargy until ours days when, only people who came out and choose this fantastic location for living, have created some dynamism and prosperity.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

CG: Gbqbf vthnvf, gbqbf qvsreragrf. Yrir nytb cnen rfperire. HX: Nyy rdhny, nyy qvssrerag. Gnxr fbzrguvat gb jevgr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)