Skip to content

A Batalha do Condestável [Batalha] Traditional Geocache

This cache has been archived.

touperdido: Resolvido!

More
Hidden : 03/29/2008
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:




História (retirada da cache: GC10QZZ)

O Convento de Santa Maria da Vitória (também conhecido como Mosteiro da Batalha) situa-se na Batalha, Portugal, e foi mandado edificar por D. João I como agradecimento do auxílio divino e celebração da vitória na Batalha de Aljubarrota. Em 1388 já ali viviam os primeiros dominicanos.

No arranque das obras do Mosteiro da Batalha foi construído um pequeno templo, cujos vestígios eram ainda visíveis no princípio do século XIX. Era nesta edificação Santa Maria-a-Velha, também conhecida por Igreja Velha que se celebrava missa, dando apoio aos operários do estaleiro. Tratava-se de uma obra pobre, feita com escassos recursos.

Em traços esquemáticos conhece-se a evolução do estaleiro propriamente dito e o grau de avanço das obras. Sabe-se que ao projecto inicial corresponde a igreja, claustro e as dependências monásticas inerentes, como a Sala do Capítulo, sacristia, refeitório e anexos. É um modelo que se assemelha ao adoptado, em termos de orgânica interna, pelo grande mosteiro alcobacense.
A
capela do Fundador, capela funerária, foi acrescentada a este projecto inicial pelo próprio rei D. João I, o mesmo acontecendo com a rotunda funerária conhecida por Capelas Imperfeitas, da iniciativa do rei D. Duarte.

O claustro menor e dependências adjacentes, ficaria a dever-se à iniciativa de D. Afonso V, sendo de notar o desinteresse de D. João II pela edificação. Voltaria a receber os favores reais com D. Manuel, mas somente até 1516 - 1517, ou seja, ate à sua decisão em favorecer decididamente a fábrica do Mosteiro dos Jerónimos.

O Mosteiro foi restaurado no Século XIX, sob a direcção de Luís Mouzinho de Albuquerque, de acordo com a traça de Thomas Pitt, viajante inglês que estivera em Portugal nos fins do Século XVIII, e que dera a conhecer por toda a Europa o mosteiro através das suas gravuras. Neste restauro, o Mosteiro sofreu transformações mais ou menos profundas, designadamente pela destruição de dois claustros, junto das Capelas Imperfeitas e, num quadro de extinção das ordens religiosas em Portugal, pela remoção total dos símbolos religiosos, procurando tornar o Mosteiro num símbolo glorioso da Dinastia de Avis e, sobretudo, da sua primeira geração (a dita Ínclita Geração de Camões). Data dessa altura a actual configuração da Capela do Fundador e a vulgarização do termo Mosteiro da Batalha (celebrando Aljubarrota) em detrimento de Santa Maria da Vitória, numa tentativa de erradicar definitivamente as designações que lembrassem o passado religioso do edifício.

Horários de visita ao interior do Mosteiro:

Verão
(Abril a Setembro)
09.00h – 18.00h
Inverno
(Outubro a Março)
09.00h – 17.00h
Encerrado nos feriados de 1 de Janeiro, Domingo de Páscoa, 1 de Maio e 25 de Dezembro
Ingresso

Normal: € 4.5
Jovens (15 a 25 anos) e reformados: € 2.25
Portadores do Cartão Jovem: € 1.8
Crianças até aos 14 anos: gratuito.
Domingos e feriados até às 14:00: gratuito.


[ENG]

History (from cache GC10QZZ)

Santa Maria da Vitória na Batalha is a Dominicanmonastery in the Portuguese town of Batalha, in the Distric of Leiria, Portugal. It is one of the best and original examples of Late Gothic architecture in Portugal, intermingled with the Manueline style. It amazes the onlooker with its profusion of gables, spires, pinnacles and buttresses. It has become a symbol of national pride.
The monastery was built to thank the Virgin Mary for the Portuguese victory over the Castilians in the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385, fulfilling a promise of King D. João I. The battle put an end to the 1383-1385 crisis
.The monastery took two centuries to build, starting in 1386 and ending circa 1517, spanning the reign of seven kings. It took the efforts of fifteen architects (Mestre das Obras da Batalha), but for seven of them the title was no more than a honorary title bestowed on them. The construction required an enormous effort, using extraordinary resources of men and material. New techniques and artistic styles, hitherto unknown in Portugal, were deployed.

Work began in 1386 by the Portuguese architect Afonso Domingues who continued till 1402. He drew up the plan and many of the structures in the church and the cloister are his doing. His style was essentially Rayonnant Gothic, however there are influences from the English Perpendicular Period. There are similarities with the façade of York Minster and with the nave and transept of Canterbury Cathedral.
He was succeeded by Huguet from 1402 to 1438. This architect, who was probably from Catalonian descent, introduced the Flamboyant Gothic style. This is manifest in the main façade, the dome of the square chapter house, the Founder's Chapel, the basic structure of the Imperfect Chapels and the north and east naves of the main cloister. He raised the height of the nave to 32.46 m. By altering the proportions he made the interior of the church even seem narrower. he also completed the transept but he died before he could finish the Imperfect Chapels.

During the reign of Afonso V of Portugal, the Portuguese architect Fernão de Évora continued the construction between 1448 and 1477. He added the Cloister of Afonso V. He was succeeded by the architect Mateus Fernandes the Elder in the period 1480-1515. This master of the Manueline style worked on the portal of the Capelas Imperfeitas. Together with the famous Boytac he realized the tracery of the arcades in the Claustro Real. Work on the monastery continued into the reign of John III of Portugal with the addition of the fine Renaissance tribune (1532) by João de Castillo. The construction came to a halt, when the king decided to put all his efforts in the construction of the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon.

The earthquake of 1755 did some damage, but much greater damage was inflicted by the Napoleonic troops of marshall Masséna, who sacked and burned the complex in 1810 and 1811. When the Dominicans were ousted from the complex in 1834, the church and monastery were abandoned and left to fall in ruins.
In 1840 king Ferdinand II of Portugal started a restoration program of the abandoned monastery in ruins, saving this jewel of Gothic architecture. The restoration would last till the early years of the 20th century. It was declared a national monument in 1907. In 1980 the monastery was turned into a museum.
The Abbey of Batalha was added in 1983 by the UNESCO to its list of World Heritage sites.

Schedules:
Summer
(April to Setember)
09.00h – 18.00h
Winter
(Octobre to March)
09.00h – 17.00h




Additional Hints (No hints available.)