Skip to content

As Colunas do Cais [Lisboa] Traditional Geocache

This cache has been archived.

hulkman: .|.

More
Hidden : 05/17/2009
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


 

Português

Afastado da vista dos muitos transeuntes devido às longas obras que tiveram lugar no Terreiro do Paço, em pleno centro histórico Lisboeta, o Miradouro do Cais das Colunas é um dos locais emblemáticos da capital Portuguesa.

O Cais esteve desmontado desde 1997, sendo reposto em 2008, devolvendo à cidade uma deslumbrante vista sobre o seu rio Tejo, os típicos cacilheiros e a margem sul.

O Cais das Colunas constituiu, durante muitos séculos, a principal ligação entre a cidade e o rio, sendo conhecido como a “porta da cidade”, oferecendo ao mesmo tempo um lugar de troca, um cais e observação da azáfama fluvial, como também um local de franca contemplação paisagística e privilegiada zona de lazer.

O Cais foi desde o seu início parte do projecto da Praça do Comércio, aquando a reconstrução da cidade após o grande Terramoto de 1755, assinado pelo Arquitecto Eugénio dos Santos, tendo sido concluído em finais do século XVIII. As suas duas colunas, que lhe dão o nome, pontuam a escadaria de pedra que desce até ao rio. 



ATENÇÃO!!! LEVEM MATERIAL DE ESCRITA.



English

The Cais das Colunas (“Columns Wharf”) Viewpoint was for many years far away from the sight of the many passers-by due to the Terreiro do Paço’s subway enlargement works.

This is one of the most emblematic highlights in the Portuguese capital, working for many years as the main connection between the town and its important Tejo river, known as the “town’s door”, offering at the same time a trading point, a place for the landscape contemplation and a privileged leisure area.

The Wharf was dismantled since 1997 and was put back again in 2008, giving back to the town an overwhelming sight over the amazing Tejo river, the typical “cacilheiros” boats and all the south river bank.

The Wharf was since the very beginning part of the Praça do Comércio’s project, when it was reconstructed after the big earthquake and tsunami of 1755, that destroyed great part of this Portuguese capital. Signed by the renowned Architect Eugénio dos Santos, it was concluded in the end of the 18th century. Its two columns, that give the name to the Wharf, embrace the stone stairway that meets the river.

 

ATENTION!!! TAKE WRITING MATERIAL.


GeoPT.org - Geocaching Portugal



Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[PT] fragn-gr r zrgr n zãb à rfdhreqn cbe onvkb. ire fcbvyre.
[ENG] fvg qbja naq chg lbhe unaq va gur yrsg orybj. purpx fcbvyre.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)