Come and join us for a run down the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to the Miesville Ravine landing, approximately seven miles of spectacular paddling and geocaching. Following the river run, we'll all gather and have some eats, drinks, and practice socialism (not the Russion kind).
Kayakers are welcome too! Paddling is encouraged but not required. I suppose you could innertube too but you may have difficulties keeping up with the group. If you don't have a desire to paddle, come and geocache the park and be social. If you don't own a canoe or a kayak, find a friend with an open spot in a boat or utilize the rental service in downtown Cannon Falls.
This stretch of the Cannon River provides a perfect venue for the adventure-some geocacher. There are 15, yes, that's FIFTEEN, geocaches on this stretch of the river. There are also geocaches in the city of Cannon Falls and there will be several hidden in Miesville Ravine Park. There are also TWO PREMIUM geocaches located about two miles northwest at the upper end of the park, off of Michael Avenue. All geocaches are permanent.
Where: Miesville Ravine Regional Park
When: Saturday August 22, 2009
Who: Any geocachers, paddlers, paddling geocachers, families, friends, ALL are welcome!
General Event Info:
- We welcome everyone to join us for as long as you like.
- Bring a dish to share: MEAT FOR THE GRILL, dessert, salad, hot dish, whatever. There WILL be a charcoal grill fired up at the shelter. Keep chips and cookies to a minimum :-)
- Bring your own drinks.
- I'll have some paper plates, cups and utensils but it'd be best if you didn't rely on me and throw in your own.
- Come prepared for "changing" weather. This IS Minnesota, ya know.
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND AND PLANNING TO RENT, CONTACT CANNON FALLS CANOE AND BIKE RENTAL AND GET YOUR RESERVATION IN ASAP.
They've been booked solid (so they say) the last four weekends running.
Call 1-877-88-CANOE or 1-507-263-4657...open 7 days a week!
- It is Minnesota state law that says to bring BRING life preservers. I also believe children are mandated by law to wear them. Be responsible for yourself. You will be attending this event at free will, therefore you can hold no one else responsible or liable other than yourself. You paddle and geocache at your own risk. If you RENT, the rental service DOES provide life preservers for you.
- Admission and parking is FREE! (unless shuttle service or boat rental is required)
- 9:00 AM: Early arrival and setup
- 9:00 AM to 10:00 am: Gather at Miesville Ravine - near listed coordinates
- If you plan on using your OWN boat and BART's shuttle service, have your boat dropped off in Cannon Falls BEFORE gathering.
- If you plan on using your OWN boat and the Cannon Falls shuttle service, you can either drop off your own boat or have it hauled by the shuttle. Remember, there's a $10 PER BOAT fee for using Cannon Falls Canoe Rental shuttle.
- 10:00 AM: Begin moving towards Cannon Falls
- I'll arrange to have Cannon Falls shuttle service at Miesville Ravine at this time.
- I'll arrange to have people moved to Cannon Falls that will be using Bart's shuttle.
- 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Get everyone moving on the river.
- Are we all going as one large group or will people go off on their own? We'll try to organize in Cannon Falls.
- 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm: Arrive back at Miesville Ravine for gathering
- 2:00 pm: Geocaching and socializing.
- 4:00 pm: Door Prize Drawing (Must be present to win)
- 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm: Party's over. See you next year?
Shuttle service and boat rental is optional but if you utilize their service, be aware that there will be a fee and you should RSVP and RESERVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I've been told that the shuttle service rate is $10.00 PER BOAT and boat rental is $25 PER BOAT FOR THE DAY (which includes shuttle service).
Bring Food to pass
If you are planning on coming, log a "will attend" on this page with how many will be coming, how many boats you're bringing, how many boats you're renting, and whether or not you require shuttle service. Put this cache on your watch list so you will be informed of all the updates.
Click here to see pictures from last year's FIRST ANNUAL event..
Any questions or suggestions? Send me a private message through geocaching.com with your input. This is my second event so please be patient as I attempt to work through the details.
SEE YOU THERE!!