How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A renovated old landmark in Woolloomooloo Bay. First Hide for Rudi63 and Walenators
The Finger Wharf or Woolloomooloo Wharf is a wharf in Woolloomooloo Bay, Sydney, Australia. The structure is the largest timbered-piled building in the world and was completed in 1915. During its working life for around 70 years it mainly handled the export of wool, but also acted as a staging point for troop deployment to the World Wars as well as a disembarking point for new migrants arriving in Australia.
The wharf, with a length of 410 metres (1,345 ft) and width of 64 m (210 ft), is composed of two side sheds running almost the length of the jetty, connected by a covered roadway between. The roofline is three parallel gable roofs and the external elevations are distinguished by a repetitive gridded structure.
At the northern end a carpenter's workshop used to exist, it has now been replaced by a concrete and steel apartment building detached from the main wharf building. On the western side is a promenade running the length of the wharf with a marina on the waterfront and restaurants at the southern end. On the eastern side is a roadway for vehicular access to a carpark for residents.
The Blue hotel (formally the W hotel) occupies most of the southern part of the wharf building while apartments mainly make up the rest of the structure.
The wharf was built by the Sydney Harbour Trust between 1911 and 1915 with the charter to bring order to Sydney Harbour's foreshore facilities. The Trust's Engineer-In-Chief, Henry Walsh, designed the massive waterfront building.
The Finger Wharf was an operational working wharf for much of the 20th century. But by the 1970s, new container ports with larger wharfing facilities and cruise liner terminals around the city meant the usage of the wharf declined. By the 1980s the wharf lay derelict and empty and in 1987, the state government decided to demolish the Wharf.
A new marina and resort complex was approved to replace the wharf in Woolloomooloo Bay, but when demolition work was due to begin in January 1991, locals blocked entrance to the site. Unions imposed a Green ban which stopped demolition crews from undertaking work.
This cache is our first time for hiding; the Finger Wharf is an iconic landmark within the area and is now a premier residence. The Western Side of the wharf is open to the public and you can stroll down have look at the variety of boats moored at the marina. The concourse within the wharf is open to the public from the road entrance to near where the cache is located. Through the concourse are several glass panels which detail the history of the wharf.
The cache is near the world famous Harry’s Café De Wheels, a great place to feed the hungry geofamily!
Oruvaq gur Qbyy..
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum