Fort Point Light(Liverpool 250th)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A micro hidden at the Fort Point Lighthouse.
The Light at Fort Point is the fourth oldest in Nova Scotia. Built in 1855 it remains relatively unchanged. The light is named for the battery situated adjacent to it which protected the harbour from 1760 until 1860. the light guided many a mariner to safety in the harbour and the guns protected the town from numerous raids by American privateers. One such raid is depicted in July of each year during Privateer Days, complete with cannons and muskets firing.
The light was manned from 1855 until 1951 when it was electrified and automated. The light is of an unusual design, and is described in nautical books as "the frustrum of a pyramid on a square base". during WWII it also housed a group of military weather watchers who shared the space inside with the keeper and his family.
Today the light is open to the public as a museum and tourist information area. You can go in during opening hours and climb the light tower and operate the foghorn.
This can be a high muggle area, please use caution. Bring a writing utensil as there is none inside.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum