The Healy Pass was built during the famine times in the year 1847 to help prevent starvation. The Pass is named after Timothy Michael Healy, who was born in Co. Cork. He was a politician and first Governor General of Ireland and was well aware of the need for a proper road between the Kerry side and the Cork side of the Beara Peninsula. He died on the 26th March 1931, and on 21st April 1931, the new road was dedicated to him naming it "The Tim Healy Pass".
This stretch of road, previously known as Bealach Scairt (the way of the sheltered caves), is eight miles in length, and from the top of the pass looks like a string of spagetti laid over the mountain. At the top of the Healy Pass, where Cork meets Kerry, funeral processions stopped and at this point pushed the corpse in the coffin over the border. The awating people then took the coffin from the opposite County. This is now called the famouse Flat Rock.
Please take care on the road, although it's a fantastic road to drive, please keep an eye out for sheep !
Enjoy !! :)